Shipping silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunne73, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I am not sure if I am in the right area but I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with shipping chickens. There are a few for sale right now that I would just LOVE to have but its a bit too far for me to drive...but I am wary of shipping since I am read some horror stories...any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Sunne~~yes, there is a risk in shipping poultry. I, personally have shipped them all over the country, and thank God, they all arrived safely and healthy.

I've also had birds shipped to me.....no other choice since there are soooo few Silkie breeders in my area. I pretty much have a closed flock, but do occasionally have to bring in new blood.

If you're trying to build a quality flock.....there's just no comparison. Your money is always better spent on live birds, than on shipped eggs.

3. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Being an expert at eggicide I have given up on trying to hatch, but I am starting out and the few silkies that I do have are all related. I have a very nice roo and I wanted to get a few girls for him to try and get a nice line of solid black silkies going...maybe i will try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by