Shivering behaviors question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I wanted to gather some data on shivering and ask about shivering behaviors.

Today I observed a 4 week old duckling shivering outside with the other one. The current temperature outside says 64 degrees.

I wondered if shivering can mean anything besides feeling cold?

Can shivering also just be the ducklings are happy? And is there a way to check this?

And how do you tell which type of shivering it is?

If its shivering when its cold and then I hold the duckling to warm it up, and it tries to get away, that makes me wonder if it could be something else? (One of the ducklings will always try to get away even if freezing and not like being picked up, but the other one seems to sometimes feel OK with it.

Have you tried asking the duckling why its shivering?

I'm not sure of any other reason they may shiver, I mean they may shake their head rapidly when they get excited or scared. I do think there are a few factors on why the other duckling wouldn't be shivering, for example, if the other duckling was full-on bathing in water, it's going to get colder faster then the dry one. Breed and the individual bird itself would play a role too.

I'll hand it to you, you come up with the most uncommonly asked questions about ducks.

Have you tried asking the duckling why its shivering?

I'm not sure of any other reason they may shiver, I mean they may shake their head rapidly when they get excited or scared. I do think there are a few factors on why the other duckling wouldn't be shivering, for example, if the other duckling was full-on bathing in water, it's going to get colder faster then the dry one. Breed and the individual bird itself would play a role too.

I'll hand it to you, you come up with the most uncommonly asked questions about ducks.

:) Thanks.

Yeah, well its amazing how funny they are and what they do.

Like today, not just shievering and wagging their tails, they keep trying to jump on the back of other adult ducks that aren't their moms. It looks like they are looking for a mom...

And because the adult ducks are actually late teenage ducks they run away. And its funny. Seeing this everyday now.

Back
Top Bottom