shoot.. fox in the back yard.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jennyhaschicks, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I was sitting here drinking my coffee looking out the window when I see a large fox come out of the woods and head towards the chicken house... Shoot, shoot, shoot.!!!
    It made a beeline towards my chicken house then I yelled out the back window and it ran into the woods.
    I have never seen a fix in my back yard as long as I have lived here.
    Any advice? My chicken coop is secure I believe. Maybe I should leave them in for a couple days.
    I am so worried this is a bad sign of what is to come in the future.
    Oh, btw I free range my birds.

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I live deep in the woods and there are lots of fox here. I have never had one take any chickens yet.

The fox are just doing what they do....hunt for food....they aren't being malicious just to be that way. If you have your chickens safe then I wouldn't worry. We rehabilitate wild life, and I hate to see people kill them unless they start wiping out your livestock. Most likely you can scare them off and they will not return. Good Luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Guess it depends how hungry they are and what else there is to eat. I lost most of my free range flock to foxes last year. Saw it happen, or was the fox stalking, in several cases. It is said they prefer rabbit, but there are plenty of rabbits around here, as well as mice.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Oh I know they are just doing what they are programmed to do. I just hate to see them in my back yard.[​IMG]
    Later today I am going to take some stuff I can find around the house that smell like us and spread them out. [​IMG] Maybe the smell will at least deter them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by