shoot in head to kill rather than axe method?

Here's my story of shooting two cockerels I had to cull because they became unholy terrors to me and the pullets at 4 months when hormones hit.

Before I caught the bird, I got my revolver and ear muffs ready in a spot behind the garden shed, out of sight of the other chickens.

I got a fishing net (get one that is mostly open net, not tiny mesh) and caught the bird. I took him to the spot, put on my muffs, put the muzzle to the back of his head, and pulled the trigger. The bullet exited the bird's head safely into the ground. He did the death throes thrash for about 15 seconds, and was still. Then I cried, hard.

I did the second one the next day. That afternoon, there was peace in my flock once more.

There was no plan to eat either of them, so they are buried in the garden. I thank them for their contribution to the soil. It wasn't their fault they were born male.
Just wish you would have ate them.

Just wish you would have ate them.

I have never killed an animal and processed it for food, so it would have been a long, difficult thing to do on my own. Ending their lives was enough stress at the time, and I didn't think I could take on any more. I did consider it, but the circumstances didn't make it possible.

I couldn't even find someone who would take them for their own use, and they were a danger to my flock. But I understand your thoughts.

I am no good with a hatchet. I decapitate with a very sharp boning knife after the chicken is relaxed in the cone. Resharpen every 2 or 3 birds.
This is how I would have to do it if I were on my own. DH grew up processing chickens and he has the head of within seconds with the hatchet method. I'd probably lose a limb.

The cone is the way to go, and use a machete (about $12 at TSC) if you're worried about your aim.

Here's the thing about bullets - regardless of how good your aim is, a chicken isn't going to stop one. When you watch an action movie, the hero has never dove behind a chicken like "Whew!! That was close!" Even if you're a sharpshooter and hit that dime-sized brain Every Single Time, that bullet will just keep right on going.

Well sure, I can hear y'all scoff, Chickens are short, I'll be aiming down.
Whatever dude, it's your funeral - or, really, your kids or dogs funeral. Although I have a cousin-in-law who lost an eye because he thought it wasn't true that bullets can ricochet.
It is true, and it must be true there's an angel that watches over fools, because one degree change in angle and that bullet would have killed him.

Now, it must be pointed out, I have a gun, I use a gun, and I have used a gun to put down animals (although not chickens!). So it's not that I'm against them. But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

The cone is the way to go, and use a machete (about $12 at TSC) if you're worried about your aim.

Here's the thing about bullets - regardless of how good your aim is, a chicken isn't going to stop one. When you watch an action movie, the hero has never dove behind a chicken like "Whew!! That was close!" Even if you're a sharpshooter and hit that dime-sized brain Every Single Time, that bullet will just keep right on going.

Well sure, I can hear y'all scoff, Chickens are short, I'll be aiming down.
Whatever dude, it's your funeral - or, really, your kids or dogs funeral. Although I have a cousin-in-law who lost an eye because he thought it wasn't true that bullets can ricochet.
It is true, and it must be true there's an angel that watches over fools, because one degree change in angle and that bullet would have killed him.

Now, it must be pointed out, I have a gun, I use a gun, and I have used a gun to put down animals (although not chickens!). So it's not that I'm against them. But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

Yep. And I ain't that good a shot, lol

But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

I agree completely. That's why I had the cockerel's head against the ground. I picked that spot because it's soft and sandy.

I own any bullet that comes out of my gun. Any damage it might do is on me.

I know this is a really old thread, and it looks like it was refreshed about a year ago.

I decided to add my two cents, because I hear a LOT of people similar to myself that take issue with using knives and axes to cull.

I have had to put a few roosters down. It’s just not pleasant no matter what method you use.
I believe strongly that the method you use needs to be comfortable for YOU, and cause the least amount of stress to the bird.

I only know my own experiences.

The first boy we dispatched had his head cut off with a very sharp knife. One person to hold the bird, one person to cut the head off.
He writhed, as expected, for some time before he finally lay still. It was probably about a minute. In my opinion, it’s a very long minute.
But it was done. It was necessary. And it solved the problem.

The next time, I decided I just couldn’t do it.
I don’t like to have to hold onto a bird while it’s trying to flail around. I can’t wrap my head around stretching a bird’s neck onto a stump and trying to aim correctly with an axe.
I’m not confident enough in myself to try dislocation.

I researched and read and reached out, and everyone suggests knives/axes, and anyone who does try shooting them, does so with rifles or handguns.
I’m not a rifle person, and I don’t like the danger of a stray bullet traveling for a mile.
I put the bird in a wire kennel, took him out back behind a barn, and shot him in the head close range with a shotgun.
He moved slightly two times, and less than ten seconds later, he was gone.

Now, I had no intention of butchering him in this case, so I was not concerned with lead; I’m not squeamish about gore, so I was not concerned with what it might look like.
But to be completely honest, it really wasn’t the horrific sight I expected.
There was actually far less blood than the one who lost his head, because he died faster.

I’m not writing this to recommend it!
On the contrary, the fact that the majority, by far, suggest other methods, means those are probably better. They’re tried and true.

But in a situation where you have to do what you have to do, I wanted to put it out there as a possibility for those who need an alternative.

A *good shot* with an air rifle is all I see being practical when it comes to shooting, otherwise it's overkill in my view and a waste of ammo. I've heard some have good results with PVC cutters.

I don't have meat birds, but I do have a $5 hatchet and a $4 manchette if the need ever arose to dispatch or add a few down the road. Though I may consider the sharp knife and cones method.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
A *good shot* with an air rifle is all I see being practical when it comes to shooting, otherwise it's overkill in my view and a waste of ammo. I've heard some have good results with PVC cutters.

I don't have meat birds, but I do have a $5 hatchet and a $4 manchette if the need ever arose to dispatch or add a few down the road. Though I may consider the sharp knife and cones method.
I can’t legally shoot Huns in my neighborhood, but if I had to, I’m sending my chicken thst needs culling to my friend with a farm. His 4th birthday present was a headless chicken thst was stuffed. It’s still in his bedroom, and he knows chickens are food and chickens are pets. his family cuts off heads I think, but I could never. The babies I had to cull was easy, but I have zero axe swinging aim.

I can’t legally shoot Huns in my neighborhood, but if I had to, I’m sending my chicken thst needs culling to my friend with a farm. His 4th birthday present was a headless chicken thst was stuffed. It’s still in his bedroom, and he knows chickens are food and chickens are pets. his family cuts off heads I think, but I could never. The babies I had to cull was easy, but I have zero axe swinging aim.
Yeah I hear ya, I'd probably go with my manchette rather than axe if I had to do it right now. You definitely need an arm for it.

Back
Top Bottom