shoot in head to kill rather than axe method?

RoosterML

Make Ameraucanas Great Again
Premium Feather Member
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
Here's my story of shooting two cockerels I had to cull because they became unholy terrors to me and the pullets at 4 months when hormones hit.

Before I caught the bird, I got my revolver and ear muffs ready in a spot behind the garden shed, out of sight of the other chickens.

I got a fishing net (get one that is mostly open net, not tiny mesh) and caught the bird. I took him to the spot, put on my muffs, put the muzzle to the back of his head, and pulled the trigger. The bullet exited the bird's head safely into the ground. He did the death throes thrash for about 15 seconds, and was still. Then I cried, hard.

I did the second one the next day. That afternoon, there was peace in my flock once more.

There was no plan to eat either of them, so they are buried in the garden. I thank them for their contribution to the soil. It wasn't their fault they were born male.
Just wish you would have ate them.

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Just wish you would have ate them.

I have never killed an animal and processed it for food, so it would have been a long, difficult thing to do on my own. Ending their lives was enough stress at the time, and I didn't think I could take on any more. I did consider it, but the circumstances didn't make it possible.

I couldn't even find someone who would take them for their own use, and they were a danger to my flock. But I understand your thoughts.

bobbi-j

Enabler
10 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
I am no good with a hatchet. I decapitate with a very sharp boning knife after the chicken is relaxed in the cone. Resharpen every 2 or 3 birds.
This is how I would have to do it if I were on my own. DH grew up processing chickens and he has the head of within seconds with the hatchet method. I'd probably lose a limb.

RiverOtter

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 4, 2009
NY
The cone is the way to go, and use a machete (about $12 at TSC) if you're worried about your aim.

Here's the thing about bullets - regardless of how good your aim is, a chicken isn't going to stop one. When you watch an action movie, the hero has never dove behind a chicken like "Whew!! That was close!" Even if you're a sharpshooter and hit that dime-sized brain Every Single Time, that bullet will just keep right on going.

Well sure, I can hear y'all scoff, Chickens are short, I'll be aiming down.
Whatever dude, it's your funeral - or, really, your kids or dogs funeral. Although I have a cousin-in-law who lost an eye because he thought it wasn't true that bullets can ricochet.
It is true, and it must be true there's an angel that watches over fools, because one degree change in angle and that bullet would have killed him.

Now, it must be pointed out, I have a gun, I use a gun, and I have used a gun to put down animals (although not chickens!). So it's not that I'm against them. But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
The cone is the way to go, and use a machete (about $12 at TSC) if you're worried about your aim.

Here's the thing about bullets - regardless of how good your aim is, a chicken isn't going to stop one. When you watch an action movie, the hero has never dove behind a chicken like "Whew!! That was close!" Even if you're a sharpshooter and hit that dime-sized brain Every Single Time, that bullet will just keep right on going.

Well sure, I can hear y'all scoff, Chickens are short, I'll be aiming down.
Whatever dude, it's your funeral - or, really, your kids or dogs funeral. Although I have a cousin-in-law who lost an eye because he thought it wasn't true that bullets can ricochet.
It is true, and it must be true there's an angel that watches over fools, because one degree change in angle and that bullet would have killed him.

Now, it must be pointed out, I have a gun, I use a gun, and I have used a gun to put down animals (although not chickens!). So it's not that I'm against them. But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

Yep. And I ain't that good a shot, lol

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
But you MUST know - not think, not guess, not assume - where that bullet will end and everything that is around, behind and near your target

I agree completely. That's why I had the cockerel's head against the ground. I picked that spot because it's soft and sandy.

I own any bullet that comes out of my gun. Any damage it might do is on me.

Top Bottom