Shoot the bird?

My neighbors shot two of their roos this weekend..One is still alive with half a head
ep.gif

The other one is still alive and they have a broken window in their house, they missed the bird...

I've used an air-powered pellet gun (pistol) with pretty good success. I place it right at the base of the skull before pulling the trigger. With a new air cartridge, it's pretty powerful and much quieter than a .22, which is something else I've used.

All was well until about a week ago when I was culling some roosters. I shot one in the head with the .22 rifle and he fell over and didn't move. I left him while culling three more... still no movement. Then I went to get a bucket to put the roos in. So this roo has been laying perfectly still for at least 20 minutes. But when I went to pick him up, he jumped up and ran off! So I caught him and shot him again, right in the head. And he got up and ran off again!! So I caught him and shot him a third time. Once he was still, I carried the other three in the house and butchered them. When I went back to get Mr. Can't Be Killed, he was gone. I've been having a bobcat problem, so I figured he'd found himself an easy dinner.

Next morning I see movement out in my field. OMG, Mr. Can't Be Killed is walking in circles out in the grass. At this point he's injured beyond any recovery, and probably not good to eat, so I chopped off his head and disposed of the body.

So from this point forward, I don't think I'll be using the "shoot 'em" method.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

I used a 12 gauge shotgun to put down one of my favorite laying hens after a dog attack not to long ago. I took the shot less than 10 feet away where the spread was maybe 2 or 3 inches wide (easy shot). She died quickly, (although I hate all the flopping around chickens do) and I didn't have to have a tactile kill. Bird shot travels far less distance than a .22 and is in my opinion safer for me and the neighbors. Always remember ear and eye protection if you go this route.

You guys really shoot chickens? As a routine method of humane slaughter a .22 pistol, pellet rifle or shotgun has no place. With the possible exception of when the subject can not be captured or restrained otherwise.

My boyfriend shot our meat birds with a .22 and we got the idea from our friend who has had meat birds for years and found a .22 to the head to be the best method. He let them out and put a little rag over each one's head in turn - when they get used to the rag they stand still and you can put the barrel right to their head so you're sure not to miss. It was a very effective method. Plus you don't have to hold them or pick them up and scare them. We target practice in the back yard so the chickens are used to the sound and don't startle at all.

I really like how we've been doing it. Find someplace like a tree, or we use our old clothesline pole. Tie a rope to the post and make a sliding loop in the hanging end. Take the chicken and put both the feet in the end and tighten the knot down. Then stretch the chickens neck out and with the sharp knife slice fast and clean right through just under its bill. Then get out of dodge so you don't get blood on you. The chicken will flap and whatever for a minute or so but that's good. All the blood is running out and the flapping I think helps that.

I tried doing it on the ground with the broom handle but you can't always hold them tight enough. They'll flap and break their wings.

Quote:
I disagree... placing the shot right at the base of the skull instantly severs the spinal cord. That's a faster death than breaking a chicken's neck, chopping its head off, or slicing the jugular. I can't comment on pithing, because I haven't tried that yet.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Quote:
I disagree... placing the shot right at the base of the skull instantly severs the spinal cord. That's a faster death than breaking a chicken's neck, chopping its head off, or slicing the jugular. I can't comment on pithing, because I haven't tried that yet.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Can someone explain to me what pithing is? I have seen the term but not sure of its meaning.

Back
Top Bottom