Shooting baby predators. Is it wrong?

I think its wrong! Your assuming you would have to kill them later seriously? If you cant secure your area well enough then your chickens are going to be eaten. People dont seem to get the fact that they are doing what comes natural to them. Animals are being invaded by people moving into their habitat. Their backyard! Especially baby racoons? take certain steps and you wont be pulling your shotgun killing defenseless baby animals!

Quote:
lol baby animals are so cute

In any event I don't think anyone who is not a vegetarian has a leg to stand on about killing any sort of animal. Nature gets displaced all the time. We can do our best to minimize the impact but we don't let wild wolves roam the streets and neither do land owners have to suffer the depredations of non-protected animals like raccoons.

I think in general raccoons are a species that have greater numbers due to mankind so on balance we don't have to feel bad thinning out the herd so to speak.

Being inside city limits, I'm not jumping at any opportunity to get the rifle out. However, I will not let said species set up shop around the chickens. I do not pursue them, hunt them, track them or even follow them, but if I see them in the yard, they better be faster than my blue heeler. She may be over eight years old, but she still can run down a possum or raccoon and dispose of them immediately. I feel that she is doing what comes naturally to her, which is to follow my command, and when I say kill, she does...

I don't know if I would have the heart to do it, but I admire you for handling the situation. If you don't mind 5 cents worth of free advice, don't second guess your decisions. You did what you felt was the right thing to do at the time. That moment has passed and now you go forward. I agree with those who said those cute babies grow up to be big pests. And just think, if they were all female babies they could each have four more little ones in no time! Keep multiplying over a couple of years and you will answer your own question.

Quote:
Just bringing up another viewpoint - a dog is domestic. IMO, it's not "apples to apples" when you are comparing a domesticated animal and its instincts to a wild one. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Just bringing up another viewpoint - a dog is domestic. IMO, it's not "apples to apples" when you are comparing a domesticated animal and its instincts to a wild one. Just sayin'.

I disagree, the dog has the drive and natural inclination to kill 'varmints/prey' and only doesn't because the dog is controlled or trained not to.

I have a greyhound Ihave rabbits, chickens, ducks, and doves outside and cats inside... I have full verbal control of the dog, (while I am watching).

It would be natural for my dog to pounce every single running critter I have.

She has been taught that -my- cats are off limits to chase.

The other critters are kept safe from her in a large run.

Back
Top Bottom