Shots for ducks. How to?

duckitup

Chirping
Jun 10, 2015
Wisconsin
Does anyone out there have a video or website that shows how to give ducks an under the skin (subcutaneous) shot?

I've giving shots in the muscle before but not subcutaneously. My vet says it is better to give Batril under the skin rather than in the muscle. He tried to explain it to me, top of the leg/under the wing, but I'd love to see it done first.

Any advice?

Thank you Amiga! When I tried to search nothing came up. I will check that out.
Email this picture to the vet and see what he says:

The inguinal skin flap (see picture below) is another place, but I find it very hard to give there because they move too much. Don't tell your vet I said this, but I think it's much easier to give the shot in the breast muscle.
hide.gif

FYI, always give intramuscular injections in the breast, never give in the leg.

Subcutaneous injections in ducks are tricky because they they have so much down. Wetting the feathers with rubbing alcohol will help you see the skin better.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy! I'm scared to do it under the skin. I don't know if I'll be able to get her to hold still enough and I don't want to stress her out more than I have to.

I'll talk to you later but just to get vet info out there in case anyone comes across this and can use it in any way.....The vet said that Baytril can cause necrosis (muscle death) in the muscle so that is why he advised to give it under the skin instead. He said given under the wing where it connects to the body or at the top of the outside of the leg would be better because they move those parts more and it helps the medicine to work it's self in instead of just sit in one spot. This is the same vet that had me give Batril in the muscle to my other duck Mr. Fiona when he was so sick. Mr. Fiona did just fine and never had any problems so I don't know why he is suggesting to do it differently this time. Maybe he had a case in between that necrosis happened or maybe new findings came out. I don't know, but I am tempted to stick with what I know how to do and have done before.

I may just go ahead and stick to in the breast because it is sooooo much easier for me and I would presume much less stressful for her.

Thanks Kathy! I'm scared to do it under the skin. I don't know if I'll be able to get her to hold still enough and I don't want to stress her out more than I have to.

I'll talk to you later but just to get vet info out there in case anyone comes across this and can use it in any way.....The vet said that Baytril can cause necrosis (muscle death) in the muscle so that is why he advised to give it under the skin instead. He said given under the wing where it connects to the body or at the top of the outside of the leg would be better because they move those parts more and it helps the medicine to work it's self in instead of just sit in one spot. This is the same vet that had me give Batril in the muscle to my other duck Mr. Fiona when he was so sick. Mr. Fiona did just fine and never had any problems so I don't know why he is suggesting to do it differently this time. Maybe he had a case in between that necrosis happened or maybe new findings came out. I don't know, but I am tempted to stick with what I know how to do and have done before.

I may just go ahead and stick to in the breast because it is sooooo much easier for me and I would presume much less stressful for her.
I'm sure your vet has better info than I do on the injection site necrosis, but I can tell you that I have given *many* IM Baytril shots to birds, and I've never experienced it, though I have seen subcutaneous injection site reactions when I gave it to cats. Tylan, that's another story... the one time I used it the injection it left a nasty necrotic spot in the breast muscle.

Read this:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom