Shots or no shots??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lnm03, Oct 16, 2008.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Am I suppose to make sure my chicks are vaccinated?? Also, I have read that I need to get special stuff to make sure they dont get fleas, lice, mites ect...is all this necessary and if so what do I need??

Thank you all again!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Vaccination is a personal choice. No, it does not need to be done, it's just a precaution.

As for myself, I wanted to raise my chickens as naturally as possible. No vaccinations, antibiotics, or other medications. If this is what you want to do as well, then don't bother with all that stuff.

As for the mites and lice, I just put DE in their coop every so often. I haven't had a problem yet.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with chickentoes. I weighed the odds and decided that my chicks did not need vaccinations.
    DE is great to use for mite control. You just have to make sure what you buy is food grade DE.

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    What about Mareks? I have a 7 week old pullet that has gotten sick with Mareks, and I don't know that she is going to make it. I have new chicks that are hatching yesterday and today, and I am so worried that they are going to get sick to. If they were vaccinated against it, they wouldn't get sick. I don't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by