Shoudl i Leave it

RouttyChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Carrollton, Va.
I have four hens and only one is laying. Just got my fifth egg. It was laid in the nesting box. The previous four were laid in the run and on the floor of the coop. Glad she finally figured out what the nesting boxes are for. My question is should i leave the egg in the nesting box for a few days so she and the others (when they begin laying) will continue to get the idea that they should lay in the nesting boxes? I did put two golf balls in there about three days ago so hopefully this is what prompted her to use the nesting boxes.

I'd go ahead and collect the egg and just leave the golfballs there. If it helped already, then that should be good enough. She'll probably continue to lay in the nesting box for now on since she's recently started to. The golfballs will help the others know where to go when they're ready to lay their eggs :)

I would never leave a real egg in the nest for an extended time personally. I would be afraid it would get broken and clue those vultures in to the goodness inside. The golfballs should be enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom