Should 4 week olds be on medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fushalilly, Apr 6, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    ?

2. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    I keep my chicks on medicated feed untill they are 12 weeks old. They grow healthier and they never get sick.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    IMO yes. Medicated feed contains a coccidiostat that helps the chicks build immunity to coccidiosis.

Many people do not feed medicated chick feed and do well, so it is a personal choice.

Jody

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    In all honesty, I NEVER use medicated feed. I keep the brooder clean, and have never had problems. On the rare occassions that any of my birds get a bit of runny poop, I add a generous amount of ground hot peppers to their water (Cayenne works, I grow thai hot peppers and keep a bag of dry on hand). The birds don't notice it, poop clears up.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You need to keep them on it for awhile still. My medicated feed says you can keep feeding it all the way up until they starting laying, which might be a little excessive. I would just go ahead and use up what you have. The medicated feed helps to prevent/build and immunity to cocci. that your chicks can get from the dirt. It does not matter how clean you keep your brooder. It comes from outside. Even if they have not been outside yet, they will eventually go outside. Keeping them on it certainly won't hurt them. It can only help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by