1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should all my chickens lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cake-decorator, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Cake-decorator

Cake-decorator Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2008
    Good evening, We have 23 chickens, but only about 4 are laying eggs. They started to lay on 16th of August. We are getting 3-4 a day. They are all the same age. We have to roosters too, could they be the cause of not laying? Should all my chickens be laying eggs?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Are they all the same breed? Some breeds mature later than others. Some chickens mature later than others of their breed, as well. Are you feeding a good layer feed? Is it too hot in their environment? All of these things can be contributing factors to egg production.

The roosters should have no bearing on egg laying at all.

Hope this helps? [​IMG]

3. Cake-decorator

Aug 20, 2008
    No they are not all the same breed. The ones that are laying the black ones. Sorry, I don't know the names of the breeds. My husband ordered them.

Now I do question the temperature. It does get over 100 degrees in the desert. But they are shaded and plenty of cooling water. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have 6 hens and only 2 are laying, and they are only laying when they darned well feel like it. 6 eggs one week and 2 last week. Who knows.

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    How old are the chickens?

6. Cake-decorator

Aug 20, 2008
    Hi, Next week they will be 5 months old.

7. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Chickens start to lay at different times. Some breeds start later than others. I would guess that you will start to see more eggs very soon.

8. Cake-decorator

Aug 20, 2008
    It sure gives something to look foward too![​IMG] thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by