Should chickens be vaccinated?

It's my understanding that the vaccine is a strain of the turkey virus and thus doesn't make the vaccinated chicks carriers for life. If this is correct then this article has apparently go off on a rabbit trail somewhere by saying that the vaccine can create a more virulent "hot" strain of the Marek's disease that the vaccinated chickens will shed. Am I missing something here? http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous/

Ja123, there is a vaccine available from veterinarians and livestock supply companies. Are you here in the United States?

Ed

It's a rabbit trail, for sure. Vaccinated birds DO NOT shed Marek's disease virus, ever, from the vaccine. They will become infected if they are exposed to the disease, but they are very much less likely to develop the tumors and die of the disease. If infected, they probably will shed virus, but it's not from the vaccine. Mary

I bought my chicks at the local Co-op store and was told they don't need anything, but the worker doesn't seem to really know. Are the chicks usually treated if they come from a hatchery?

It's a rabbit trail, for sure. Vaccinated birds DO NOT shed Marek's disease virus, ever, from the vaccine. They will become infected if they are exposed to the disease, but they are very much less likely to develop the tumors and die of the disease. If infected, they probably will shed virus, but it's not from the vaccine. Mary
I got to thinking about it and wonder if the issue is that the chickens that have been vaccinated do just as you said...they can get the virus but not exhibit the symptoms and the virus that they subsequently shed possibly becomes hotter and hotter. They more or less become a living petri dish for the virus. Just thinking outside the box, I guess, I am by no means a biologist or virologist. Makes me kind of wonder, though.

Ed

Hi were can u get this at im in the u.k and would like to vaccinate my day old chicks and do u put it in water or inject into them thanks

Vaccinated birds will get the virus if they are exposed to it, and will shed whatever strain that infects them. I don't know how changeable it is over time, although I do know that there are different strains that also differ in pathogenicity. Where you get the vaccine in the UK, I've no idea. Check with your local poultry experts. Mary

Like Mary, I have no idea where you can get the vaccine. Poultry supply companies, veterinarians, agricultural supply stores, etc., would be some good places to start looking. As for the actual mareks vaccine it is injected into loose skin on the back of the neck.

Here's an example video of vaccinating some chicks...

0.jpg

Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom