Should chickens be vaccinated?

If my chickens aren't vaccinated, is it okay to introduce vaccinated chickens into my flock? I heard the virus sloughs off the vaccinated birds and infects the unvaccinated ones.

I saw an advertisement for 6 month old EASTER EGGER henS. I have an assortment of unvaccinated hens that all lay brown eggs and I wanted some that would lay blue ones. The owner said they were all vaccinated, so I just wanted to be sure that my current hens would be all right.

Just at add to your dilemma, understand that the Marek's vaccine doesn't prevent a bird from getting Marek's. If the bird gets Marek's, the vaccine prevents the tumors from forming that would eventually kill it. So the vaccine doesn't prevent Marek's; it just keeps Marek's from killing the bird. That may be where the notion that the disease sloughs off the vaccinated birds and infects the unvaccinated ones came from. If Marek's is present, the unvaccinated ones die. If a vaccinated bird has Marek's, she brings it with her to your flock.

You should check with your local agri department to find out what, if any, poultry/avian diseases are being monitored in your area. They'll be able to suggest what, if any, vaccines you should consider for your area in your situation.

Last edited:
I NEVER EVER bring in birds from other flocks, only day- old chicks from hatcheries, very good breeders, or my own hatches. My home raised chicks aren't vaccinated for Marek's, and my hatchery chicks are. So far no Marek's disease here, because of good luck and paranoid biosecurity. Mary

Birds already exposed to or infected with Marek's disease won't be helped by vaccination. Birds are normally vaccinated as day-old chicks, and then isolated from possible infection for two to three weeks to develop immunity. They will then be able to be infected, but are very unlikely to develop the tumors, as AllynTal already mentioned. The vaccinated chicks don't cause problems in your flock! The vaccine sill likely save those birds from the pain and suffering involved in tumor development, in an infected flock, which is a very good thing for them. Mary

Back
Top Bottom