Should chickens eat pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tomato lady, Nov 2, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have some left over Halloween pumpkins. Is it OK to give cut them open and give them to the chickens?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine love them.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I've been bringing home all the broken & bruised pumpkins from my church's pumpkin patch and the chickens have been eating them up. I break up one or two each day for them to peck at, and toss any leftovers into the compost bin each night. I don't want anything left out to attract raccoons & opossums overnight. After H'ween the church said I could come pick up a bunch more unsold pumpkins, which will last longer than the broken/bruised ones that decay so fast. I have them setting up on pallets and will treat my birds every day until the pumpkin is gone.

4. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks. Looks like it is treat time for the chickens tomorrow! [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    My chickens LOVE pumpkin and the seeds are also good to prevent worms (so I have heard anyway).

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Pumpkin is loaded with beta-carotene which will help make their egg yolks darker/richer and more nutritious.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. cadescove523

cadescove523 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    TN
    If you take Backyard Poultry magazne there was an articel in the last issue I believe about how pumpkin was a natural wormer for chickens>

9. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Quote:Hi neighbor - I tried the pumpkin wormer thing - they ate every bite - except for some of the dandilion leaves. Since that article didn't give specific amounts to give - I don't know whether it did any good or not. [​IMG]

10. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    My neighbor just gave me one and the chickens are afraid of it. It takes a while before one will get brave enought to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by