Should fresh eggs taste like feed?!?

gotro17

Songster
Oct 25, 2015
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi! I am a brand spankin' newbie with 7 babies ranging from 1-4weeks old. My neighbor has silver laced Wyandottes and offered us 18 eggs. With giddy anticipation, I made them yesterday (simple scramble on low heat)... While I know I am not "use" to fresh backyard eggs, these were NOT tasty...almost offensive, heavy with a "feed" taste. I usually buy my eggs at farmers market, from small lot farmers... I realize you are what you eat and I'm not thinking, based on what I've seen of my neighbors backyard, they get much more than feed and whatever they forage for in the dust. My girls are spoiled with their diet of fresh grasses and healthy kitchen scraps...please reassure me these gift eggs are unusual!
1f615.png
1f615.png
1f615.png

My fresh eggs don't taste like feed and no one that has bought from me had any complaints. Not sure why your neighbor's taste funny, that's odd.

My eggs taste better than store bought...but there is no odd feed like taste. They may have been a bit old or improperly stored to make the shell brittle and taste off. (Although not enough calcium in the diet may be reason for brittle shells).

Another real possibility is that she is feeding fish meal. That can leave a very odd taste in the eggs. Or the chickens got into a weed of some sort that left an odd flavor. A lot of garlic in the feed, as some are prone to do as an herbal remedy for worms, can definitely leave a strong flavor.

I have eaten eggs from friends whose eggs tasted really off to me, and they were feeding fish meal to boost protein. I have personally tasted the garlic in the eggs after feeding my hens garlic...although I kind of like the extra flavor from that.

My guesses.
LofMc

Last edited:
Thank you for all the ideas! I have a feeling it was an errant eating of something strange. While the shells are all "thin", the rest of the eggs tasted ok. I will keep these points in mind, however, when my own little flock starts laying.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom