Should hens be out in the rain if it's cold?

I have several birds that sleep in trees at night and I've noticed some sleep in one place when it's nice and another place when it's cold+wet, and 2 of my girls reject the trees entirely in bad weather and post up on the front porch. My temps aren't as bad as yours, but I'm adding my vote to the "chickens can make good choices" camp.

My rooster died yesterday in southern Va all because it was freezing rain out he was out in it acting fine one minute the next he was paralyzed so I quit letting mine decide as of today...
I am sorry for your loss. I am wondering if there was some underlying condition that the stress on his body of being cold+wet prevented him from fighting off

Hi everyone!! I always read but I’ve never joined or posted until just this second. Because my 4 girls decided it was yummier to eat wet, muddy food outside in the rain INstead of the dry, clean food in their coop. I left the lower door open but it’s been raining off and on all day. Well, now it’s time to go in and since they will take it to the bleeding edge of near-darkness and they are now pretty wet!! I forced them inside to dry off before they sleep. It’s 39F!! Should I put a light on in there so they stay up to clean and primp?? This is Cali so we only have LED lights that don’t give off heat 🙄. We literally have to sneak them in if we buy them online. So stupid. Anyway. Should I put in two hot “rice socks” to warm up the coop? It’s about an hour to full darkness so I’m afraid they’ll be wet AND cold. They are young. About 21 weeks ish. Three are laying. Any help is appreciated, I’ll put them in my bathroom if need be. That’s where I had them when I first got them as pullets Lol!!
As long as they are fully feathered, they are fine. I don't think the absence of light will effect them, and they definitely don't need supplemental heat.

Should I put a light on in there so they stay up to clean and primp?? This is Cali so we only have LED lights that don’t give off heat 🙄. We literally have to sneak them in if we buy them online. So stupid. Anyway. Should I put in two hot “rice socks” to warm up the coop? It’s about an hour to full darkness so I’m afraid they’ll be wet AND cold.

No lights or heat should be needed. When you say wet, did you put your hand all the way against the skin and check if that was wet? Most likely they're just wet on the surface, which is fine - if the skin is mostly dry, they'll be ok.

Some of my younger birds have sat outside in pelting, cold rain for hours and gone to bed just fine. By the next morning they're dry and fluffed again.

I honestly did not think to feel their skin. :( I just saw that the backs of their necks and heads had spiky looking feathers since they were wet. Their backs were only damp in areas. I went back out there shortly after and saw they were already roosting. Ugh! Their coop is nice and dry, no drafts, and I use a 2x4 for they’re roosting perch so they get full foot coverage.

Thank you so much for your response :) I really appreciate it. It’s 40F still. It stays pretty consistent.

As long as they are fully feathered, they are fine. I don't think the absence of light will effect them, and they definitely don't need supplemental heat.
They are fully feathered. I just figured they might stay up longer so they’d clean/fluff. But they went to bed right after I put them in.
I am rather attached to them. Attached is a pic of Nikola sitting on my lap :). I have four: Nikola, Einstein, Madam Curie and Fluorine

Attachments

• 07E81FB8-318D-4A9B-AF0B-A5803D6BB273.jpeg
    07E81FB8-318D-4A9B-AF0B-A5803D6BB273.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 6890651F-591B-4ABB-8254-274BD419DD01.jpeg
    6890651F-591B-4ABB-8254-274BD419DD01.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 3
I brought my sexlink in tonight because she is practically bald and we are expecting snow. If she huddled with my other chickens, I would just leave her out there, but she prefers to sleep by herself.

Normally, they'll go out in the rain. They don't like when is pouring down heavy rain, but a light rain doesn't bother them at all. Like others, I let them decide for themselves.

Unless they're bald.

A man who raises poultry professionally told me that chickens should not get wet if it's cold. But, we live in Michigan so perhaps he meant below freezing when he said cold. I need clarification!

So, there's a light drizzle outside today and it's in the low 40s. I was wondering if I should keep the hens inside on days like this. My run is not covered so they'll get wet if they go out, though they can get under a pine tree where it stays quite dry. But, to get to the tree they have to fly over the 4 ft run fence which they do easily when dry--but could they do this when wet in order to get back into the coop? I can open the gate for them to walk through if they can't fly over the fence--I just don't like to leave it open as the enclosed run provides them a safe haven from my own dogs.

Here are my questions: 1) Let's say it's a real drenching rain but it's a summer day and it's in the 70s or 80s--can they be outside then? 2) Let's say there is minimal precipitation (light drizzle or lightly falling, relatively dry snow) but it is cold, as in either close to or below freezing--can they be outside then? And, 3) can chickens fly over a 4 ft fence if they've gotten slightly wet but not soaked?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Oh, and I should clarify that when I open the coop it's free choice for the chickens to be outside or in. I'm never forcing them to be outside if they don't want to be. I just don't know whether to give them the option because, seriously, they don't always make the best choices!
They are barnyard animals.... it’s perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom