Should hens be out in the rain if it's cold?

When I have young ones, I will usually go out and shoo them inside when it rains, but I usually end up soaking wet from chasing the little buggers around. The ungrateful lot usually will just run around and laugh at me while I'm slipping and sliding in the rain. Then I go inside, change clothes, towel my hair, and then look out the window to see them filing into the coop!

Fred's Hens :

Mine are out right now in northern MI. They have chosen not to stay in. They have instincts and preferences. I let them decide. I dunno.

X2​

Fred's Hens :

But, I know darn well they won't stay out long. So, I just stand by and lock the door(s) behind them when they head back in. Told 'em, but they wouldn't listen.
big_smile.png

LOL!!! Sometimes they are just like "kids"--they gotta find out for themselves!!
roll.png

Last edited:
I let them out in the rain.

I just make sure they are undercover/in the coop long enough to be dry by the time it's dark/roosting time

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Last night it was still raining with high winds. One of my hens didn't come back to the coop (this has happened before) so I don't know where she spent the night--I'm guessing on the low branches of a pine tree. This morning she embodied the "angry as a wet hen" saying and was pacing outside the fence giving me the stink eye waiting for me to open the gate so she could get into the coop. She's ridiculous--she will fly over the fence to get out but will not fly over to get back in. I try not to baby her but I had pity on her windblown state this morning.

Anyway, after she survived nasty weather out in the elements by choice I'm less worried about "protecting" them by keeping them inside. I do like the idea of putting a towel or plastic strips over the door opening since they have to stand right beside it to eat and in winter that'll be a pretty big draft on them--not to mention probably making my waterer freeze too easily.

Mine are out right now in northern MI. They have chosen not to stay in. They have instincts and preferences. I let them decide. I dunno.
My rooster died yesterday in southern Va all because it was freezing rain out he was out in it acting fine one minute the next he was paralyzed so I quit letting mine decide as of today...

Thanks, Fred. Is there ever a point where you keep them in? What about sleet and high winds?

I do agree that the chickens should decide for themselves--that's why I free range them. But, as a new chicken owner going into winter for the first time I want to hear about the practices of experienced poultry owners. I appreciate your advice.
My rooster stays inside a cabin like dog house at night with some pine (never cedar) bedding and he pops out early every morning ready to go! Lol even when we have nights with the temp in the teens he sleeps great! Never let your chickens chill out in the rain if it’s under 30 degrees if you can help it especially if they can’t get somewhere warm and dry afterwards.. i learned this the sad hard way with a rooster I loved dearly

Hi everyone!! I always read but I’ve never joined or posted until just this second. Because my 4 girls decided it was yummier to eat wet, muddy food outside in the rain INstead of the dry, clean food in their coop. I left the lower door open but it’s been raining off and on all day. Well, now it’s time to go in and since they will take it to the bleeding edge of near-darkness and they are now pretty wet!! I forced them inside to dry off before they sleep. It’s 39F!! Should I put a light on in there so they stay up to clean and primp?? This is Cali so we only have LED lights that don’t give off heat 🙄. We literally have to sneak them in if we buy them online. So stupid. Anyway. Should I put in two hot “rice socks” to warm up the coop? It’s about an hour to full darkness so I’m afraid they’ll be wet AND cold. They are young. About 21 weeks ish. Three are laying. Any help is appreciated, I’ll put them in my bathroom if need be. That’s where I had them when I first got them as pullets Lol!!

Back
Top Bottom