Should hens be out in the rain if it's cold?

Mine basically built up 2-3 separate inprompto coops throughout my property that they scurry to if bad weather comes in. 1 is under a heavy pine tree that blocks most if not all rain (the dirt is almost always bone dry under it), another is in/under a pile of tree branches from various trees I've cut down and a 3rd is under my deck. They never lay eggs in any of these places (only in their coop with nesting boxes) but they will hunker down there with nice comfy "nests" in bad weather and when they just like to relax.

There are times that my silkie is so soaked that she looks like an ordinary chicken. Then she dries out and fluffs up. So no, I give them a place to hide from the rain and cold but it is their choice to use it.

Thanks everyone. Most of the time I trust my chicken's to their instincts but then I didn't want to end up with dead chickens and have everyone tell me that duh--they can't get wet when it's freezing!

It is my first winter with chickens and I was freeking out when the temp got below 40 degrees. I am wondering when and how often to use a heat lamp in their coop. I only have three and I would like them to lay through the winter. Any advice?

Quote:
No need to freak out gibbysgirl. It's a common sentiment with new chicken owners. Here's my answer to the same question asked earlier.
First off, Welcome to BYC.

Just a couple of things
Light not heat will encourage the hens to lay. About 14 hours a day of light will do it. It does not need to be terribly bright. If it is easier to leave it on 24/7 that is an option.

Adding heat is a choice you can make. Chickens can survive very cold temperatures. But there is much more involved than just the ambient air temp. You should be looking into being sure that they are not in drafts, but still have adequate ventilation. The fluxuations in your weather. Insulation of your coop. The cold hardiness/ breeds you have.
Also take into consideration the how you view your chickens. If they are pets to some degree, that may affect how you want to keep them.
If you choose to heat the coop, be sure that you do so safely. There are other options besides a heatlamp. Lots of people do heat their coop without problems. There is nothing wrong with making that decision.

Imp​

Throughout the summer my RIR havebeen outside in pouring rain and after I go out there to check on them they are fine and are reletively dry.

I've noticed that chickens have this "oil" on their feathers that repels water and allows it to slide off of them relatively easily.

Today I saw them outside in the cold rain and they were fine. I would only be worried if they were outside in the rain and it was 0° C.

But, they should have an instinct of when they need to get out of the rain.

Quote:
Welcome to BYC.
smile.png

First of all, 40F is perfect temps for chickens. If you really want to feel better, check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

The
only time I have ever made the decision for my birds to stay inside is when it was -35F and a storm came through. High winds, blowing snow... it was not pretty. I actually closed the coop doors. But for the most part the pop doors are left open year round, with a towel tacked over it to cut the drafts. No extra heat, just plenty of dry shavings, clean nest boxes, and 2x4 roosts.

Now, this evening it's 27F, and my little millies decided to stand right in the middle of the water bowl...
roll.png

Mine are 6 weeks old today and have been in the coop with a heat lamp ( I am weaning them off) at night and out in the run during the day. I kept them in yesterday and again today because of the cold rainy weather here in Ohio. I wonder if I should though. Do they really have enough sense at this age to go back in the coop? A few nights ago they actually went in at night all by themselves,but we usually have to gather them up and put them to bed. They can get out of most of the rain by going under the coop, but it isn't enclosed. Today it is 43* windy and raining. Should I open the door?

We can't worry about rain here in Oregon. If they don't want to be out in it, they can go into their dry coop. I'd keep small chicks in until they get their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom