Should I add a female to my 2 drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by foxchasr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. foxchasr

foxchasr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi everyone. I have 2 pekin drakes that are about 10 months old. They get along great, no signs of aggression at all and follow each other single file everywhere around the yard. They free range all day with my 7 hens and 1 rooster. At night, they file into the chicken coop and I have an x pen inside the coop where they sleep with a bucket of water. A friend of mine is moving and needs to find a home fornher 3 Pekins, 1 female and 2 drakes. I offered to take the female and wanted to know what I should expect. This female was already with 2 drakes and there wasn't a problem, but I was just wondering if adding a female at this point will create total havoc. With she be overwhelmed with the 2 boys? Will my 2 boys start turning on each other? I really have a nice set up now and would hate to voluntarily cause any problems. Any thoughts?

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    okay first love the puppy on your avatar!!

now with that said i wouldnt be worried with the drakes fighting as much as they might "rape" her
    two boys to one female is just cruel you need at LEAST 3 females to a drake most will say 5 or 6 but ive seen and heard they do just fine with three.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. The boys will probably start fighting
    2. The hen will be most likely be severely over bred
    3. I would suggest at least 4 more hens minimum for there not to be a issue.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is good she is doing okay now - I have heard of two drakes and one female getting along, but there are many times when, as stated already, the drakes just get too aggressive with each other, and with her, which could kill her. If peace reigns right now, I would keep the two drakes until you decide you're ready for a few more females, to be safe.

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Definitely need at least 4 hens, preferably 6, IMO.
    And that avatar is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

6. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I wouldn't do it personally... not unless you're willing to get at least four more females. I have one very passive drake and two females and they still get pretty roughed up at times. Constantly having feathers pulling out of the back of their neck, over breeding can cause wet feather, infection, and in extreme cases death. I would be super careful and if you really want the female, invest in more girls or keep them seperated.

7. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Your two drakes are babies still, but next spring will be rough. Are the two she is with also this years youngsters? I would expect problems next spring with two drakes to one duck, just not a good idea. They will make her neck raw and possibly lame her by over breeding. They will compete with each other. I would recommend against it. On the other hand, if you are willing to part with one of your boys, then you'll have a happy pair, eggs and possibly ducklings. That would be fun.

8. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:X2!!

9. Dublin21

Dublin21 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    Yeah I would give it a trial run first and see whether or not they're civil for a given time frame. Don't want to set a dominant precedent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by