1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I add more chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BackToMyRoots, Apr 16, 2012.

1. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I lost a chicken to a predator this winter and have since upgraded my security to the point of ridiculousness.The two remaining chickens are very happy together and produce enough eggs, at least in spring and summer, for our two-person household. What are the chances that both chickens make it through the winter without mishap?

I would hate for one to be left alone all winter in case of mishap, but I also don't want to have to build a new coop for five chickens after raising the obligatory three chicks this spring. I wouldn't mind building another coop next year, but we've only had this one for two years, and I'd hate to consign it to "grow-out" status so soon. What do you think? Should I prepare for the worst and buy more chicks, or should I trust that my two-year-old girls will be okay?

2. Ms Lupine

Ms Lupine New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    I would think that they should be fine if you have reduced any predator risk. as long as you have a safe enclosure and your birds have a warm dry place when its cold they should make it fine through the winter. If your concerned about them getting sick I would add a heat light into their bed so they can choose to be warm when ever they feel like it. If you are that concerned id go buy maybe one more laying hen to add to your two that way if you loose one they wont be compleatly alone. I would guess you shouldn't need to build a new coop just to add one more bird.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They really are not that old yet. They may not be spring chickens, but they aren't old biddies yet.

4. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Is this really a question? [​IMG][​IMG]of course add more chickens! The more the merrier right?

5. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking about letting another year go by before adding any chickens, at least until my willpower gets too low :)

My girls are happy to note that they're not into the old biddy stage yet--does that mean I'm not, either? ;)

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They say your only as old as you feel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by