Should I add some EE's to my flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wordgirl, Jan 30, 2011.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Hoping I put this in the right place.... [​IMG]

I am working on my order for this year's batch of chooks [​IMG] and am trying to figure out what all I want in it. At the moment I'm thinking I want two dozen hens - 10 of them Golden Comets, 4 Barred Rocks, 2 White Rocks, 2 Buff Orps, 2 BSL, and...3 Easter Eggers? (I'm also debating whether to get some Wyandottes.)

My big desires for this flock are:

• High rate of production
    • Friendliness
    • Color diversity (of plumage)

Do you think the Easter Eggers would be a good part of my flock? I would like to get some - they're SO cute and I've heard so many great things about them -, but I'm worried about production rates and slow maturity. What do you think? [​IMG]

Thank you so much!

Edited to fix funny punctuation. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, your flock will be pretty with EEs and you'll have a pretty egg basket as well. They may or may not be as friendly as other breeds, and they are slower to mature. Egg production is good enough - at least my EEs lay 5 to 6 eggs a week, apiece. 5 is more common.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Five a week's not so bad. I think that would be fine. When did yours first begin to lay?

I think the flock would be pretty with EE's, too. [​IMG] And if I do get them, I really do hope mine who lay colored eggs. [​IMG]

P.S. - I love your custom title. I have a lab, so.... [​IMG]

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Jumping in .... my EE's started laying at 27 and 30 weeks, respectively.

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have 2 EE hens and 1 EE roo. My girls are 8 months old and one of them just started laying 2 weeks ago. The other has not started yet so I'm hoping it will be soon. They are very pretty chickens and mine are really docile too. They come up to me and let me pet them. In my opinion, no flock is complete without them [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've seen a lot of folks here recently with late blooming ee hens, but mine weren't. I ordered four from McMurray a few years ago and remember them laying at about five months, just like everyone else. They've layed very well, almost daily, took the normal breaks in winter for molting. Three of mine are the classic ee color, one is more like a gold sex-link. They're all kinda hawkish with the beards and wild-looking heads. None of my birds are particularly friendly, but the ees are the first ones to come for treats and they'll hang around right up under my feet, they're the ones I have to shoo away with a foot! I say get some, they make your egg basket look so cool!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I wouldn't be without EEs.

They lay a medium egg, and mine are in their pullet year, so they are laying great. Out of 5 EEs, I get around 3-4 eggs a day.

They are shy and a little flighty, but still squat for me as I walk by. They are low on the pecking order and are subject to being bullied in my experience.

Their feathers are beautiful. They love to come up to you and just look and look.... but they will run if you try to catch them.

I LOVE my EEs.

And yes, I have heard many say that they take awhile to start laying. Mine took I think 6 months.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Four of my EEs started laying at 5 months and one who had issues a couple of months later. They all lay aqua colored eggs. They are varying degrees of friendliness with one really shy and one very outgoing and the rest in between. I am averaging 25 eggs per week from the 5 of them. They just started laying in late October. They are all I've had so I can't compare but I think they're very sweet.[​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine started after everyone else had, and none have laid for several months now. They are a bit flighty and get more panicked if I handle them than any others. Personally, I don't care for the body configuration, either; to me they look like their head is too small. I won't get them again. If I buy hatchery birds again they will be BA or BO or something like Delawares. More likely, I would get breeder RIR or SS since I have discovered they are available not too far away.

Personally I would not buy Golden Comets as I don't like the idea of buying an already mixed breed. I have enough mutts as it is. But a lot of people love them.

My hatchery BO and BA have been by far the most productive, even better than the Leghorn I had. Probably lost her to an egg problem.

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:Which hatchery did you get yours from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by