Should I assist hatch? Duckling over 24 hours.

Unruffled

Songster
5 Years
Aug 13, 2018
I have a duckling egg that pipped externally about some time over 24 hours ago. I’m not sure of exactly how long ago as I just noticed it 24 hours ago and I know it wasn’t pipped 48 hours ago. So any time between really.
Anyway, it pipped on the bottom side, which made me leery. Then I noticed that the outer membrane that was showing was tinged yellow. And before I noticed that it was pipped I HAD opened the incubator to remove a different egg.
But I figured I would give it the standard 24 hours to make some kind of progress before I would get concerned.
Today there is no progress so I candled the egg and there is no air cell to speak of( although I can hear the duckling. And the inner membrane looks clear and wet.

Should I assist or leave the duckling for a while? And how long?

I have a duckling egg that pipped externally about some time over 24 hours ago. I’m not sure of exactly how long ago as I just noticed it 24 hours ago and I know it wasn’t pipped 48 hours ago. So any time between really.
Anyway, it pipped on the bottom side, which made me leery. Then I noticed that the outer membrane that was showing was tinged yellow. And before I noticed that it was pipped I HAD opened the incubator to remove a different egg.
But I figured I would give it the standard 24 hours to make some kind of progress before I would get concerned.
Today there is no progress so I candled the egg and there is no air cell to speak of( although I can hear the duckling. And the inner membrane looks clear and wet.

Ducklings take a long time to hatch.
They also die at the very end sometimes.
If you want to chip away a little at the shell you can, and if there is any bleeding hold a dry paper towel on it until it stops and put it back into the incubator.

Do you mean underside or bottom end? If it pipped on the under side/just out of the air cell, you may want to turn the egg gently so that the pip it pointing up. (If you haven't done this).
If it pipped the wrong end/outside of the air cell, this is both the internal and external pip in one- Which means it will take longer. It's likely still absorbing. Give the duckling a bit longer, you can dab some coconut oil onto the outer exposed membrane if it starts to look dry, but be careful not to put too much on or get it around his bill or nares.
Ducklings are slow hatchers, pipping the wrong end will mean it's slower than usual.
Here is the Assisted hatching article
Always helps to have a read, if you havent already!

Thank you for your replies. I did slightly turn the egg and give the duckling more time. Sure enough, a few hours later, they completed their hatch, thankfully. Thanks again! I know it’s always better to wait. But sometimes it’s hard when you think the worst is happening in the egg. I’m sure you get it. 😊
Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom