Should I attempt to hatch?

4-RChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
Newbie here, just learning about chickens and loving it. Yesterday I got 2 silver laced wyandottes who have had too much rooster exposure (no feathers on their backs). My questions is, should I try to hatch their eggs? He said they have been laying and my friend has an incubator. How long after they have been with a rooster are their eggs still fertile? Thanks for the advise, I love BackyardChickens.com, so many great people and good information!

:welcome

Hens eggs should be fertile for at least 2 weeks. 3 weeks at the longest.

If you want some baby chicks. I say go for it.

welcome-byc.gif

Hens eggs should be fertile for at least 2 weeks. 3 weeks at the longest.

If you want some baby chicks. I say go for it.

Agreed - give it a shot, why not?
CT

Since you just got them I suggest you collect eggs for a week and go for it. Store the eggs pointy side down to keep the air cell where it belongs in a relative cool place with fairly stable temperatures. If you keep them for only a week you don’t have to turn them but you can, rotating them about 90 degrees side to side. It doesn’t hurt and can help keep the yolk centered. If you keep them more than a week you might need to do a bit more to keep them viable but most eggs do quite well for a week without a problem even with less than perfect storage.

Good luck, it’s a great adventure.

Back
Top Bottom