Should I attempt to sex my barnyard mixes?

@MysteryChicken based on flock dynamics and the fact that I doubt a pullet would hatch 13 chicks (esp since my other pullets arent even freaking laying)... I'd guess this is daddy. Theres also no way to know if the eggs were even all hers. LOL

Edit: hes half american game, half orpington

Attachments

• 20201113_121027.jpg
    20201113_121027.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 4
I totally agree with both of you but most people in my area cant have roos so straight run leads to no one wanting them at all?
Good point! Though these days I have not had any trouble selling straight run if you ask a fair price. I usually give a discount if people are buying more then 3 or 4, and I sell them in groups, minimum 2, so I do not end up with a lone chick. Many hatcheries have stopped for the year, so you may have an advantage there. 😊

Good point! Though these days I have not had any trouble selling straight run if you ask a fair price. I usually give a discount if people are buying more then 3 or 4, and I sell them in groups, minimum 2, so I do not end up with a lone chick. Many hatcheries have stopped for the year, so you may have an advantage there. 😊
What even is a fair price? Metro Atlanta, so I get a price bump for city people not having to drive out to the country, but also they're mixes and not a straight layer breed so that knocks me down a bit.

That is also a consideration. A huge part of why I havent done anything.

I have no idea.
I can probably identify the color if you post him?
If he's silver, the offspring will be sex linked.
Males will grow up to be yellow/Golden.(Silver split to Gold)

Females will be silver.
Screenshot_20201121-122831_Chrome.jpg

It's reversed with this cross.

If the father was gold, & the mother silver. Males would feather out silver, or gold Split to silver, & females just gold.
Screenshot_20201121-123152_Chrome.jpg

I do not know what they would go for in your area. See what others are charging. I usually post on craigslist under "farm and garden" section. Have some really gorgeous photos, close ups of the chick cuteness, I usually have all of mine sold within a day or two at most.
Use the orpington part of them to sell them. You can call them orpington crosses if you are sure they are part orpington. 😊

@MysteryChicken based on flock dynamics and the fact that I doubt a pullet would hatch 13 chicks (esp since my other pullets arent even freaking laying)... I'd guess this is daddy. Theres also no way to know if the eggs were even all hers. LOL

Edit: hes half american game, half orpington
Okay, they're not sexable by color if both parents are gold based.

I can probably identify the color if you post him?
If he's silver, the offspring will be sex linked.
Males will grow up to be yellow/Golden.(Silver split to Gold)

Females will be silver.
View attachment 2419886
It's reversed with this cross.

If the father was gold, & the mother silver. Males would feather out silver, or gold Split to silver, & females just gold.
View attachment 2419887
Where you going with all this?
Chicks are pictured and all the same.
Golden males and silver females hatch the same. You can't sex them until many weeks later. OP isn't trying to wait till they're half grown and easily sexed by comb/wattles etc.

Back
Top Bottom