Should I attempt to sex my barnyard mixes?

Is feather sexing a possibilty or does that require specifc parentage?

It's totally fine if the answer to the whole thing is no. I havent sexed the last several clutches I've had. It was just an idea I had, since everyone seems to have a lot of fun with the guessing game.

If they actually do have gamefowl in them selling them to the average backyard chicken type isn’t a good idea for a few reasons.
There aren’t many people that want hens that lay few eggs and roosters that may or may not be too aggressive for them to care for.

Is feather sexing a possibilty or does that require specifc parentage?

It's totally fine if the answer to the whole thing is no. I havent sexed the last several clutches I've had. It was just an idea I had, since everyone seems to have a lot of fun with the guessing game.
Yes, this works with only a few breeds on day one after hatching.

Do you want to sell them all? If so, just sell them as recently hatched, no talk of sex whatsoever. The longer you wait, the less prospective buyers.

If they actually do have gamefowl in them selling them to the average backyard chicken type isn’t a good idea for a few reasons.
There aren’t many people that want hens that lay few eggs and roosters that may or may not be too aggressive for them to care for.
I definitely dont plan to misrepresent them, as I think you have I have talked about in the past.

I definitely dont plan to misrepresent them, as I think you have I have talked about in the past.
If I were you I would get actual gamefowl if that’s what you like or actual layers. Being all crossed up lessens the better qualities of each.

Do you want to sell them all? If so, just sell them as recently hatched, no talk of sex whatsoever.
I honestly don't have any plans. I'm just having fun. I can keep all of them and cull the extra roos / sell them to a family that eats them. Making back a tiny bit of the money I spend on feed would be nice but not required.

I honestly don't have any plans. I'm just having fun. I can keep all of them and cull the extra roos / sell them to a family that eats them. Making back a tiny bit of the money I spend on feed would be nice but not required.
Then I would just wait and cull the males and sell the extra females once you can accurately tell. The problem is people will have to buy eggs to eat while they feed their chickens and get nothing back in return except more chicks. 😂

Then I would just wait and cull the males and sell the extra females once you can accurately tell. The problem is people will have to buy eggs to eat while they feed their chickens and get nothing back in return except more chicks. 😂
Do they really go broody that much? I thought it was just my hands-off approach to chickens.
I'd also read that they're still listed as 'medium' egg layers. I thought I saw somewhere 190 eggs/year.

Back
Top Bottom