Should I Bathe My Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ShadowsFIAL, Sep 9, 2014.

1. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have 8 hens, and three of them have feathered feet. Of course I know chickens are dirty little girls who like to roll in the dirt, but would it be benificial to them to wash them once or twice a year? I was thinking of bathing them in a tea tree shampoo, since it is a natural insect repelant, even though I am not having problems with mites or lice. Would it be a good precaution for them in spring in summer just to keep them feeling good? Would like anyones advice on this! =)

2. CityFarmer202

CityFarmer202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Missouri
    I don't see a need to bathe my clean legged chickens, but my two cochins get really gross because of how feathered they are. I give them a bath whenever poop starts getting stuck in there leg feathers. No one wants to have that! :p one of them for some reason gets much grosser than the other one. What she does i know not, but even her head gets poop on it [​IMG]

3. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Wow, that is a dirty chicken haha! Mine haven't gotten that bad yet, and I hope they don't. The only one I have a problem with is my araucana. It got the the point I was advised to pluck some of the feathers around her vent to try and help decrease the problem.

4. CityFarmer202

CityFarmer202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Missouri
    hum....i've never plucked any feathers. :) yes, she is a mess LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by