1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i be afraid of squirrels?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Roosterboy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I have tons of squirrels where i live and the usually chases them away. I am worried that they will get into the coop. Should I?

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    they may snack on scraps leftover from your chickens but i dont see any harm unless maybe you'd be afraid of diseases. But i wouldn't worry too much. I dont see that they pose a real threat, but that's all a personal choice. [​IMG]

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Should i be afraid of squirrels?

Have you ever seen the movie "Attack of the Killer Squirrels"?

Nuff said [​IMG]

4. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Quote:Have you ever seen the movie "Attack of the Killer Squirrels"?

Nuff said [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I think the squirrelies should be more afraid of attacking chickens or ducks. My little mille fleur will chase sparrows away from her grain.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    only if you or your chickens are dressed up like walnuts!

squirrels don't seem to be a threat nor chipmunks. we have a bunch of chipmunks all over and a nest right next to the big coop and they haven't tried to get in or get feed etc.

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Squirrels will eat the chicks of small songbirds if they get a chance, but I would think that all but the youngest chicken babies would be too much for them to handle. And if the chicks are out in the coop with momma, then I'm sure she could handle any challenge!

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would not worry too much about squirrels unless you have a bunch of unattended babies. They might go after one of those but still unlikely.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Squirrels are herbivores, they will not go after your chicks.

They will try to get at your feed & if successful will rob you blind. I had one who kept getting into my corn barrel. He was able to tip the top off with 4 bricks piled on it. Finally had to bungee it down. He was a sleek, fat beautiful squirrel though-very well fed.

10. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    squirrels are not herbivores, they eat chicks. seen it with my own eyes and have read it often. flying squirrels are actually pretty vicious in this way too.

the ones i saw waited until the stellar's jay's eggs hatched then ate the chicks, then had the gall to come to my screen door begging for hazelnuts all covered in blood.

flying squirrels are one of the top predators of marbled murrelet (endangered seabirds that nest in old-growth/mature forests) eggs and chicks in washington. murrelet chicks are about as large as chicken chicks.

having said that, i probably wouldn't worry, my girls go after the local mooch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by