Should I be afraid, or flattered?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pegs_eggs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Pegs_eggs

Pegs_eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    NH
    The last several mornings when I let one of my flocks out, our little Mille Fleur d'Uccle roo comes running (ok, a fast waddle, lol) straight toward me with both wings dragging, then when he gets to the fence he just stands sideways looking at me. At this point I usually give him a bit of bread and he starts calling to the girls about his treat. If I were a chicken, would I be afraid of his posturing, or flattered??? I don't get the sense that he is threatening me, but I've never seen this before. Inside the coop he is a very friendly guy who is happy to be held and carried. Thanks for your input!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, even if he WAS posturing, it's hard to be afraid of a chicken that 1) waddles like a windup toy (that's what ours reminds me of when he "runs") and 2) doesn't weigh 2 lbs...lol. I thought the wing drag was a good thing, luring. But I guess you could think of it as seeing you as a suitor rather than the boss???? Hmmmm...I'm not sure on this one.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is about to try to prove that he is tougher than you. The very first time he flogs you, swat him with something that will not hurt him. Even a little rooster like that could do serious damage if he flew into your face. Give him an attitude adjustment.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If he fluffed up at you, I'd almost worry. (Worry just enough to do that attitude adjustment thing.) I think he's sizing you up to see if he can take you. [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My former mille fleur d'uccle roo was the worst rooster in my yard. He started out like that and got worse. It finally reached the point where he would flog me every time I went in his pen. I finally sold him (with full disclosure) and sent him elsewhere. He was postively hateful. I tried all the rooster tempering techniques to no avail. I think the problem was that I let him get away with it early in the game and he just got bolder and bolder. Do not let him get the upper hand. They are tiny little thing and adorable, but don't let that fool you. He was a million times worse than my huge standard size roosters.

6. Pegs_eggs

Pegs_eggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    NH
    Thank you all for your responses. I think I may bring the spray bottle (the one I squirt the cats with when they're being naughty) out with me tomorrow morning and see if that changes his opinion of me at all [​IMG]

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

put it in the fredge first... all night.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by