should I be concerned about his comb turning black?

coltssuperbowl83

Songster
9 Years
Dec 17, 2010
Kingsville

Nothing I've ever seen referenced before. Without knowing where you're at I'm guessing it's not frost bite. Is he well hydrated? Is there a possibility of physical damage? Best guess is, no, no immediate worries.

From what I've read it could be he's stressed, excited or possibly a circulatory problem. Rooster's combs can turn purple when they are excited or stressed. If he is excited, it should go back to normal and will happen intermittently. If he is stressed, it might signal a circulation issue.
Also, you may want to check to see if he's getting picked on either by the hens or another roo?
Either way, I would keep an eye on him and see if it progresses.
I hope this helps a little

From what I've read it could be he's stressed, excited or possibly a circulatory problem. Rooster's combs can turn purple when they are excited or stressed. If he is excited, it should go back to normal and will happen intermittently. If he is stressed, it might signal a circulation issue.
Also, you may want to check to see if he's getting picked on either by the hens or another roo?
Either way, I would keep an eye on him and see if it progresses.
I hope this helps a little
1C69424E-2C2C-4C20-871D-A2B9DAB1FE67.jpeg

I have the same issue with our new rooster, who is on day 2 of quarantine, here he is in the transport kennel. We since gave them a coop with run of their own. You can see his comb os blackish on the back end of it. I know it was stressful for them, so I’ll give him about a week to normalize, before I worry about bad circulation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom