Should I be concerned about this poo?

Shallon

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
OK, so I have had my flock at home for just over a week.
The second day I had them, one hen was visably lethargic. She and the other chickens had mushy poo, normal colors according the to poo page though.
I put her in a separate enclosure, gave her electrolytes, no improvement. Her symptoms matched Coccidiosis from what I read, so I began treating the entire flock and her for it with Corid. I also gave her some yogurt mashed in with food. She got worse and passed away on Saturday. The night before I noticed her crop felt big for her not eating much. The day she died it was very swollen.
Since I had the rest of the flock started on the Corid I decided to do the five days on it. They have all been doing great, eating, active etc.
Four chickens, my silkies, are having solid poos.
However, my RIR hen and my maran hen are still squirting. Maybe my silkie roos too, haven't watched them go recently. The poo is normal color, gritty texture in it, but very liquid. It has the white bit for the urea. It makes a squirty sound when they poo. They are still doing the cecal poos occasionally too.
I notice the RIR hen lays down occasionally, even while foraging today once, still with alert head and watching everybody, and even eating. So that struck me as different than the other chickens but I'm still new to this so not sure if a concern or not.
I gave them electrolytes in their water today to help in case dehydration was a problem.
So what is going on? What should I do?

Last edited:
Are these newly hatched chicks? I would think the chick that died probably had an impacted crop from eating pine shavings. Many people will use paper towel for bedding for the first week so they will learn what food is, and not eat the bedding. As long as they are acting healthy and eating/drinking I would watch their poo. The corid could have made them runny or if they had cocci, they could be showing signs from that. I would put some vitamins and probiotics in the food or water if/when you have finished the Corid. Buttermilk mixed with food is a good probiotic in small amounts.

These are the six month old chickens having the mushy poos.
Thanks, I'll try the buttermilk!

Oh, I think I figured out the feather thing. She's got tons of new pinions. She's molting! I didn't think a chicken would be molting this time of year, but she is a fall chick.

Back
Top Bottom