Should I be concerned about this?

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
My 16- 18 week old girl has a toe that turns a bit backward. It doesn't seem to bother her. Should I be concerned? If so, would splinting it be the answer? I hate to do that, as I think she might have trouble roosting at night.
20231005_074624.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it unless it was causing a problem. Lots of them have wonky toes. If she were limping, it was swollen, it was flopping and obviously broken, then you would need to do something. They break and tweak toes all the time, and crooked toes usually don't cause them any problems. It's probably been that way since she was very small and it's just been noticed. It's unlikely that a splint would change anything, I would just leave it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it was causing a problem. Lots of them have wonky toes. If she were limping, it was swollen, it was flopping and obviously broken, then you would need to do something. They break and tweak toes all the time, and crooked toes usually don't cause them any problems. It's probably been that way since she was very small and it's just been noticed. It's unlikely that a splint would change anything, I would just leave it.
Thanks. I've been reading other threads, and was beginning to think what you just suggested. It helps a lot, to get it endorsed by someone more experienced.

It's easiest to do this by taking them off the roosts at night. You don't have to chase them, and they are usually calmer and mellower then. And one nail will only take a second to trim. Anytime I have to do anything with one, especially one that doesn't like being handled, I either get them at dark once they've gone to roost, or I go out very early in the morning, before light, and take them off the roost. Much, much easier.

Bundle her up in a towel to stop her from squirming and flapping her wings, then sit down and lay her on her side, her back towards you, so the leg/foot you want to work on will be on the upper side and easy to reach.

Resting one arm slightly on top of her while working on her foot/toe will keep her calm.

Shine a light at her nail to see where the quick starts so not to cut off too much and make her bleed.

Last edited:
It's easiest to do this by taking them off the roosts at night. You don't have to chase them, and they are usually calmer and mellower then. And one nail will only take a second to trim. Anytime I have to do anything with one, especially one that doesn't like being handled, I either get them at dark once they've gone to roost, or I go out very early in the morning, before light, and take them off the roost. Much, much easier.
Well, duh! I should have thought of that! Thank you for that advice- invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom