Should I be concerned if they mate?

ladyalia

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Indiana
I have a black jersey giant rooster chick and I have a 6 weeks old belgian quail bearded d'anver female. I know I have some time but....my question is...once old enough to breed, will my jersey giant try to mate with my d'anver? If so, will it hurt her (I would think yes)? And if somehow they managed to breed, will her eggs be bantam size or giant size or some size in between? I sure don't want to put my little Hawkie Belle in any danger!! I thought maybe with the size difference being so great that he may not notice her at all...that's my hope anyway. There are 22 other pullets in the run for him to focus on lol.

I'm new to chickens so I don't have the terminology down just yet, sorry lol. Thanks in advance for all your imput!

The hens eggs are determined by her size not the roosters. Yes, you should be concerned for any hen that is significantly smaller than the roo. Keep an eye on them and see if he's smashing her or doing her any harm. If he has other hens he might not pay her much attention, but htere's always a risk. With 24 birds together I'd be concerned about a very small hen being picked on by the other hens. I hope they have plenty of room.

I plan on keeping a very close eye on what's going on! As of right now, no one picks on her, they pick on each other but not her. And they do have a lot of room, but we're gonna be adding room later this summer when they get a little bigger.
I'm relieved to hear that about egg size!! Now I have to make sure he doesn't crush her. Like I said, I've got time, he's only 3 weeks old.

hu.gif
I dunno...my male duck mates my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom