Should I Be Concerned? (long)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducklover15, May 18, 2009.

1. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was wondering if I should be concerned about the way my mallard duck male is treating my female.

I got four mallard ducklings last summer, kept two and gave the other two to a friend. My ducklings ended up being both female and my friend's ended up being both male. We kept our's separate for awhile, but a few weeks ago I decided to borrow one of her males because he was being very aggressive toward her other male. After a few days I gave him back because he seemed to be favoring one female over another and he was keeping the smaller female from eating and drinking.

I stopped taking the eggs away from both of my girls and they made two nests right next to each other and haven't been leaving them. But sadly early this morning I discovered that some kind of wild animal climbed into the cage and killed my smallest female...leaving the larger one alone.

I was very surprised that the remaining female moved the other female's eggs into her own nest and is sitting on them. I candled all eggs today and have a total of 11 fertilized eggs. When they hatch should I be concerned that the female will kill the ducklings that are not hers? Should I move those eggs to an incubator when time comes closer for them to hatch?

And another question: since the remaining female was going to be by herself, I brought the male back today to give her company. My mom said that she saw him being very rough with her and almost drowning her in the swimming area. Should I be concerned with him? Will he kill my female or will it get better the longer he stays?

Thanks for any help!

2. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm no expert but that's sad that the one momma got killed. I dont' think the other duck will deny any babies she hatched out, I think most poultry/fowl will take and hatch any eggs, while most mamals recognize their babies by smell I think birds are more sound or maybe sight? As our hen who we tried to offer 5 chicks when she already had 4 3 week olds, killed all the white ones and accepted the black ones...

3. ducklover15

Well they should all be the same brown/yellow color since they're all mallards so I'm hoping she won't be able to discriminate by color! =]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    She shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

As for the "almost drowning", that is normal mating behavior. Your duck wont drown. However, she doesn't need to be mated right now if she is sitting on the nest. She needs peace and quiet...not an amorous boyfriend distracting her from her nesting duties.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. ducklover15

So I should remove the male?

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah. He is just going to be a pain for her right now...and he may kill her ducklings.

7. ducklover15

Okay I'll move him.

Thanks! =]

8. BAYAREABIRDER

BAYAREABIRDER Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Move him please!!!!! IF he was there when her babies hatched, he could be very agressive, and try to kill the ducklings, and mate with ur hen. Broken necks, and drowning are affects of a male mallard raping a hen that is alone brooding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by