Should I be concerned? Pipped last night but still not hatched?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    One of my BR eggs pipped last night at 6:00pm and it's now 9:45am and it still hasn't hatched. Should I be worried? It's still moving around and chirping, but hasn't made any more progress on the pip since about 10:00 last night. It chipped a piece of the shell off, so I can see the membrane. (and the chick inside when it moves.

Also, I don't know if it's normal or not, but there appeared to be a tiny bit of blood. I could see red on it's beak when it would poke out. (again, not a lot, just a tiny bit)

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    If you've opened the incubator, she might be shrink-wrapped, with the membrane stuck to her feathers so she can't get out. If you haven't just wait. I've gotten impatient and gone in to help chicks too soon, and every one has died. Get more advice, but you might consider helping tonight IF there's no progress. In my novice incubating adventures, I found that I've had several chicks with twisted feet, caused by improper temperatures. They won't be able to push against the bottom of the shell to get out. When I help them out, they die anyway because they can't get to food/water. Well, one lived, and she'll hobble around on the sides of her feet for the rest of her life. Good luck!

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    you just gotta chillax and leave the 'bator on lockdown. no good comes of opening the 'bator.

when a peep pips, it can sit and rest for 24 hours before making any attempt to start zipping. the whole process is hard work for them and they rest a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do NOT open the bator. It can take 24 hours or more from pip to hatch. Be patient.

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i agree with Ranchy, in fact it can take 48 hrs from pip to hatch even.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by