Should I be concerned?!

Rsc2771

In the Brooder
May 25, 2018
North Carolina
Hey All!
So my mom signed me up to get two more girls, Dolce and Gabbana, so a total of 6 girls in my Chickie family. I noticed one of my girls, Dolce, has a "crooked beak." This picture was taken when I first rescued them, I put the two in a BIG dog cage for isolation, from a lady that bought too much and wasn't taking care of them. So what do I have to do for this girl to make sure that doesn't hinder her life? Any suggestions? I would imagine she is used to it because she has survived, obviously. I'm a newbie city girl who has fallen in love with chickens, so any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated!
20180516_204054.jpg

20180516_202424.jpg
20180516_202331.jpg
20180516_202331.jpg

What she has is called Scissor Beak.
I've seen pictures if much worse cases. I have never dealt with this myself but if she is able to eat and drink I would think she will be ok.

Hopefully someone else will chime in. Maybe give you some ideas on if you can help or when you may need to.

It's scissor/cross beak but doesn't look overly severe. You can try trimming her beak a little bit once she's had time to settle in, and that might help her eat more normally by evening up the edges. Using a non metal nail file, just file off a little of the edges that are sticking out.

As far as feeding like you said she's survived this far so she's probably ok. Did the former owner say what she was feeding them? Fermented (or at least wet) feed will probably be easier for her to eat but if her weight is good that might be something optional.

Back
Top Bottom