Should I be done with these maran chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aumismommy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. aumismommy

aumismommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of these three maran chicks I have? They are a little crazy compared to the other chicks (others are cochins, brahma, ee, br). They fly back and forth in the tub, jump on the ledge. They are two weeks old and the others are about 9 days. It's like they are having an Olympic trial in there.  They are about 5-7 days older than the other chicks but man they are soooo different. I wanted them for their dark eggs so badly. The three marans sleep together away from the other babies too. We think one is a boy and two are girls.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you clarify the reason you're wanting to get rid of them? To me, they sound like the perfect chick for a human to be entertained by. =] You don't need a reason to find chicks a new home...so don't feel like you should justify yourself to me or anyone else. I'm just confused as to why you want to get rid of them. No, I don't think you're crazy, but I don't know you. lol

3. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Chickens will be chickens. lol

4. aumismommy

aumismommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    The thoughts of wanting to re home them are simply because I am paranoid ;) of having crazy and over active chickens...our last group of babies ended up being all but one being roosters and they were psychotic! I just want to have some fun, friendly girls (I'm pretty sure one out of our 11 babies is a roo, one of the marans actually) that lay eggs and don't attack my family. That's where I'm at ;)

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Sounds like normal, healthy chicks to me. Remember that more feathers means they need less heat so the fact that the older ones sleep separately from the younger ones and fly better shouldn't be surprising. I had to change feeders a couple weeks into the brooding process because my chicks would knock the plastic one over with all of their flapping about (thank goodness the water was hanging!) Just give them as much space as you can and if you don't have enough room for all of them, then by all means rehome some. But don't presume that being active now means they won't mellow at POL. All of mine did.

6. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    My black copper marans chicks are definitely much more active then all of my others! They are larger, louder and peck at everything on the walls. I think they are hilarious!!!

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Soon after you get rid of the Marans chicks the others will behave the same way. I don't recall my Marans hens (didn't have them as chicks) being any more obnoxious than other breeds (including all of the others you mentioned excluding Cochin).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by