should I be locking up my Ladies?

nancyrae

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
We are building our coop!! (SO exciting!) We will be putting in a ramp that will swing up and lock from the inside. Our ladies will be in a fenced in run. Will they go in the coop each night on their own? Should I be locking them in the coop each night? If so, do I need to lock them in at the same time each night and let them out at the same time every morning? Or will they be ok to just come and go as they please? I really don't know what to expect in the way of preditors. Thanks to all for answering my many questions!

Yes they go in the coop at night on their own. I always lock mine up. Raccoons can be crafty. Weasels, coyotes( didn't actually get them but came very close), hawks and dogs have also gotten my birds. I also had a possum kill all of my serama chicks( they were suppose to be my foundation stock too). Hawks and dogs are more of day time predators though.

For the first few days, at least 3, it's recommended that you keep them completely locked in the coop so they can learn that it's home. After that you can let them have free access to the coop and run during the day. I personally will be locking my coop every night and opening it in the morning whenever I get up

So timing isn't really an issue? I mean, I don't have let them out each morning at exactly the same time?

Mine don't get let out the same time every morning they get let out when I get up, I do make sure they have water in there coop just in case i lie in to much lol, I lock mine up at nite, I go out about 830pm and they are all in bed so I just close the door

Oh I will say though, im in the UK and the only predator I have to worry about is a hawk that we see every 4ish month's and the possible threat of a dog if it really wanted to jump my fence

Once your chickens learn that the coop is where they are suppose to go at night they will go in on their own when it gets dark. I always lock mine in every night. My chickens are ready to go at first light in the morning. They can get noisy waiting for me to let them out which I do around 6:30am. This is why I'm looking into getting an automatic pop door so I can stay in bed a little longer.

So they will let me know what to do and when?!! Fabulous!! THANK YOU all so much!

Back
Top Bottom