Should I be worried about my pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaynaDon95, Mar 22, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have a few very obvious roosters in my brooder. I mean, duh. (I hatched them) But earlier I was cleaning out the brooder and one of them jumped up and tried to mate my hand. (What the heck?? o_O He's 2 weeks old!) My question is, should I be worried that he will hurt my pullets? Surely it can't be healthy for them to be mated at this age... What should I do, if anything? [​IMG]

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    I've never heard of this lol. But if anything you could separate them if you were very worried. Normally a mother hen wouldn't do anything so let nature take it's course unless there is something very wrong that is causing chaos ;) Other than being odd I don't think it would cause any problems unless scratching etc.takes place resulting in bloody backs. Then separate ;)

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Okay, thank you. This is my second hatch, and my first one to see do this. They others are 6 weeks old, and never shown any "tendencies" like this... Even to the girls. He's done it twice to me now. It's just weird. I'll leave him alone unless he hurts a pullet, but I will certainly keep my hands clear of him in the meantime! [​IMG]

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Haha well good luck with that. He may turn out to be a very......dominant roo lol. ;)

5. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    lol He's the some of my RIR rooster, so it wouldn't surprise me. His daddy is pretty "dominant" also. I guess it's hereditary. ;)

6. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Maybe you have a very sexy hand [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by