Should I be worried about this poop?

Layer isn't ideal for roosters or pullets that aren't laying, but if you only have mature hens that should be fine.

I also had to switch to flaked oyster shell to get my little princesses to actually eat it. šŸ˜„

That definitely does happen, but only one hen that I had died without me getting a chance to treat her. It really depends on what the bird has going on.

Yeah, we can call in some other knowledgeable folks if you have been seeing it frequently, and/or continue to see it.
Thank you. I agree, Iā€™ll see what others have to say.

Someone told me oyster flour is also available. I have seen her eating oyster shell, so i donā€™t think she has an issue with not liking it, but nice to have options.

All in all Iā€™m sure she is just coming into a rough age for a production breed. But I wanna help her live a happy, healthy life as much as I can.

Can you get a fecal float to see if worms and coccidiosis are an issue?

If not, then I would consider deworming and treating for Coccidiosis.
She's been with you a couple of months now and *should* have built some resistance to whatever strain(s) of Coccidia that you have on your property and flock, but the poop is quite mucousy and has a lot of urates.

Egg quality issues can be from a number of things. This hen was adopted from a neighbor. Has your neighbor ever mentioned their chickens having "colds" or respiratory symptoms?

Fwiw - it won't hurt to use Corid, it's not an antibiotic. There is no withdrawal period when using it.

Can you get a fecal float to see if worms and coccidiosis are an issue?

If not, then I would consider deworming and treating for Coccidiosis.
She's been with you a couple of months now and *should* have built some resistance to whatever strain(s) of Coccidia that you have on your property and flock, but the poop is quite mucousy and has a lot of urates.

Egg quality issues can be from a number of things. This hen was adopted from a neighbor. Has your neighbor ever mentioned their chickens having "colds" or respiratory symptoms?

Fwiw - it won't hurt to use Corid, it's not an antibiotic. There is no withdrawal period when using it.
I called around to a couple of vets today and even the college for a fecal float test and no one would do it. One vet that would do it wanted to see the chicken but couldnā€™t see her for another week or more. The college medical laboratory science program didnā€™t have fecal float test and we donā€™t have a vet program. Is coccidiosis something I could see under a microscope? I do have access to a microscope.

No he never mentioned her ever being sick. He gave her to us because she was eating her and their other hens eggs. Iā€™ve never noticed any signs of her being sick, either. Not that that means much with their ability to hide it. We did see her almost every day before adopting her and she was always alert and healthy looking. I do have some antibiotics on hand if she ever needed, although I would hate to give them if not needed.

It has been dreadfully rainy here. I think I read that coccidiosis thrives in the wet, cool weather. Itā€™s not entirely impossible that she couldā€™ve picked up coccidiosis or wormsā€¦is it?

If i decide to deworm, what is a good dewormer? Is there an egg withdrawal period for a dewormer?

Some people do their own fecal floats, so yes, you should be able to see Coccidia and worms.
I don't know how to do this, so...

@KsKingBee and @Sue Gremlin may be able to offer some suggestions on that. KS has a thread about it here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/doing-fecal-floats-at-home.1047614/

Wet warm weather is when you can see Coccidiosis outbreaks that's for sure.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good dewormers.
Withdrawal period for both is 14days after last dose.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

And no, I would not treat with an antibiotic unless I had clearer symptoms that she was suffering from infection.

Some people do their own fecal floats, so yes, you should be able to see Coccidia and worms.
I don't know how to do this, so...

@KsKingBee and @Sue Gremlin may be able to offer some suggestions on that. KS has a thread about it here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/doing-fecal-floats-at-home.1047614/

Wet warm weather is when you can see Coccidiosis outbreaks that's for sure.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good dewormers.
Withdrawal period for both is 14days after last dose.

Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

And no, I would not treat with an antibiotic unless I had clearer symptoms that she was suffering from infection.
Interesting! I may take a sample up to the college and see what I can see. Im a little disappointed (and shocked) actually that I canā€™t find a vet willing to just do a fecal float for her, considering we live in Wyoming :he but Iā€™ll make a few more calls tomorrow.

If I have no luck in finding out anything, Iā€™ll start with Corid and see how things are after.

Thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom