1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I be worried - BR's egg changing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jan 12, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BR, Dumpling, laid an egg on 1/8 that had a very thin shell. On 1/10 she laid a weird "sack egg" - no shell, just the membrane. She's on layer feed, with extra egg shells in their feed and free-choice oyster shell. No egg yesterday. She's a new layer, and has only been laying about 2 weeks.

Should I be worried about egg-binding, internal laying, or...?

Thanks!!

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    No worries. The young ones will go through this as their reproductive systems mature. She should settle into more normal production within a few weeks. As I recall, BRs have a tendency to lay only 4-5 eggs per week so taking a day off will be normal.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Shouldn't be anything to worry about! You're doing everything right. Give her a bit more time bfore you get too worried. [​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Thanks for the input! My BSL and RIR and egg MACHINES who lay 5-6/week. The BR lays the biggest eggs, but the BSL lays more frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by