Too many eggs!

LalaP

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Hi all. My 4 yo Australorp Bertie has always been a consistent layer but lately she is laying 2 eggs a day and 1 is in the nest box with a thin but acceptable shell and the second is under the roost with a very fragile thin shell.. always broken. She eats a quality layer feed and eats egg shells (she prefers egg shells to oyster shells) but it’s not enough calcium to support so many eggs. What can I do?

Mix the oyster shells in with the egg shells.....or give her a calcium supplement directly.
Ok do you have a recommendation on a calcium supplement? Are we talking about a product for chickens or human calcium supplements? I have a supplement with calcium, magnesium, zinc and D3 all together. Can I give her that?

I’ll get a calcium citrate with D3 supplement. If anyone knows the proper dosage and how often to give it that would be very helpful. Also any tips for how to get her to eat it are welcome. She’s my picky eater and avoids anything unusual.

Get at least 600mg. You give it whole by prying open the beak and shoving it in. Chickens swallow large pills effortlessly.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom