Should I be worried?

Quackers Mama

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Houston, TX
I had Quackers in the bathtub to try to get her use to water (which is going well) and of coarse clean up. When she was ready to get out I picked her up (she walked onto my fingers and I put my other hand gently ontop of her) and as I was putting her down on the towel I noticed this feather which had a tiny bit of blood in it.

Should I be worried? She won't let me touch her until she's done fluffing herself up lol. So I can't check anything till she's done.

Last edited:
Is she molting? A *blood feather* when feathers grow blood will fill the feather shaft till its done forming. usually the blood would be gone when they are ready to molt/drop their feathers.

How old is Quakers, wait I'm seeing what appears to be fluff, mid adult? She may have plucked this feather out and it was just siting there till you noticed it. E'aster was pretty tough on her feathers at this age but I never bothered to look at the feathers. You should be fine.

If she has blood on her you need to apply pressure to the spot, broken blood feather, and it should stop in a few. Not much to worry about unless she cracks a lot of blood feathers which can turn into a problem.

Blue muscovy 030?

Is she molting? A *blood feather* when feathers grow blood will fill the feather shaft till its done forming. usually the blood would be gone when they are ready to molt/drop their feathers.

How old is Quakers, wait I'm seeing what appears to be fluff, mid adult? She may have plucked this feather out and it was just siting there till you noticed it. E'aster was pretty tough on her feathers at this age but I never bothered to look at the feathers. You should be fine.

If she has blood on her you need to apply pressure to the spot, broken blood feather, and it should stop in a few. Not much to worry about unless she cracks a lot of blood feathers which can turn into a problem.

Blue muscovy 030?
X2 I couldn't come up with a better answer than that piece of very good advice :)

S/he is 7-8 weeks old, so yes that is fluff your seeing. :) It had just fallen from her. Thanks for the info on blood feathers. I've heard about them but never really knew what they were. The only blood was on the feather itself. It was miniscule, which is why I didn't freak out lol. Figured she was ok, but better to be safe and ask here. :) I've checked her and all is good. :D

All I know about "her" is that she's a Muscovy from people on here. Been trying to figure out the gender. Some say male, others female, and the rest just stumped Lol. Quackers is well, an alien duck as you've said lol. Still hates peas, but getting better at the bathing bit. :p

Back
Top Bottom