Should I break the law??

ok, but my point is, chickens that at one time were legal aren't now. I know in this case from reading the first article these people don't have the footage from the boundaries that were always a requirement so technically their hens were never legal. I just think it is ridiculous that in a county that allows 4 dogs and 9 cats with no requirements, they have to make a big deal about a couple hens. Yes, I know they are considered livestock but they are just as good a pet as any parrot, and serve a useful purpose, IMO

Wanda

Quote:
yeah...but...ummmm how would u hide the coop and all the poop?
tongue.png

i agree also, but for a different reason, there is honor in obeying the rules/laws. a thing that has been pushed aside for selfish reasons (i want what i want!) in todays society. ask yourself what your motivation is.

how many posts do we read on here about 'my neighbor complained and how dare they!'

they have the right to complain even if the chickens aren't a problem, if the rules state 'no chickens'.

the law is the law. if you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, or you think it's unfair, either try to have it amended, or move or change hobbies/interests. it's that simple and if people did that they wouldn't have to complain or 'just not understand why my birds are a problem and my neighbor has vicious dogs, the city is making me get rid of my chickens and etc etc.'

honor the law/rules and be a good example. 'fair' isn't how things work. what we think is great may not be for the greater good of a community. not everyone has 3 chickens and keeps them tidy and the yard neat.

you were smart to think before jumping into something!

I think your all missing my point here. It is not whether you should keep chickens illegally but the fact that you may have been keeping chickens legally and now you aren't, so I guess you think people should just give up their pets now? I found the Maryland group where I should have posted it so I am off this thread now. thanks, Wanda

Hi, I would keep them in the garage or shed or patio or make it look like they live in the house. Then they are housepets. As for cleanup, lay down some newspaper and put shavings on top, but just a little. Everyday or two, pull the paper and toss it in the garbage can, even in a plastic bag.
Silkies are ideal, they make very little noise, and you can keep them near the house etc. They do not even need a large area to free range.

I live in a suburban area where it's zoned that we can have hens (no roosters) but structures must be at least 50' from the property lines. I'm in the same situation as the other person where it would be impossible to be 50' from a property line on a lot that's 35' x 75'.

Oh well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=11883. I'm going to offer these neighbors eggs as soon as I can.

ETA: Check out the thread about local ordinances & how to change them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=11883

Last edited:
I guess its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. But I WOULD be prepared for a letter from the city. Get as much info as you can on why having chickens is a GOOD idea. Also, if there is anyplace close by that allows chickens, get copies of the ordinances.
Sigh. With everything else going on in this world you would think people have more to worry about than "illegal chickens".

Back
Top Bottom