Should i bring baby goose to its mother?

Nikki Chen

Chirping
Mar 13, 2020
Hi everyone. We have a goose thats been sitting on her eggs but all of them are rotten. Our female geese sit on their eggs every year but no luck. We also have an incubator and we hatched 1 successfully. She just broke her shell and I tried to bring her to her mother but the mother was a bit stress I guess so she stepped on the baby goose. I brought the baby back in. My question is should I keep the baby and raise it or I give it to the mother? The mother is still sitting on her eggs. My plan is to keep the baby for a couple days and then bring it out and put it in the mother nest hopefully she will take care of it. What is your thoughts? Please excuse my English. And our geese have no experience raising babies. TIA

Hi everyone. We have a goose thats been sitting on her eggs but all of them are rotten. Our female geese sit on their eggs every year but no luck. We also have an incubator and we hatched 1 successfully. She just broke her shell and I tried to bring her to her mother but the mother was a bit stress I guess so she stepped on the baby goose. I brought the baby back in. My question is should I keep the baby and raise it or I give it to the mother? The mother is still sitting on her eggs. My plan is to keep the baby for a couple days and then bring it out and put it in the mother nest hopefully she will take care of it. What is your thoughts? Please excuse my English. And our geese have no experience raising babies. TIA
You can try giving it to her, just slip it under her feathers and then take the rotten eggs away so she doesn't keep sitting. Since momma goose has never hatched, she may need to be kept an eye on, but overall her motherly instincts should kick in once she sees the gosling.
@Lemon-Drop @JustAChickenLoverOverHere can you back this up, or is it wrong?

You can try giving it to her, just slip it under her feathers and then take the rotten eggs away so she doesn't keep sitting. Since momma goose has never hatched, she may need to be kept an eye on, but overall her motherly instincts should kick in once she sees the gosling.
@Lemon-Drop @JustAChickenLoverOverHere can you back this up, or is it wrong?
Thank you. I will try it again but should i keep the baby a couple more days. Im afraid its too weak and if the mother keeps stepping on it it may die 😭

Thank you. I will try it again but should i keep the baby a couple more days. Im afraid its too weak and if the mother keeps stepping on it it may die 😭
Keep the baby where it is warm, and wait for her to fluff out. Show her how to drink by dipping her beak in the water and wait until she swallows. Make sure she has food too. She looks weak because you stressed her out by bringing her out to mamma and then back in. I'm not trying to accuse you, so sorry if it sounds like that :oops:. Just let her get comfortable in the incubator, and when she fluffs, lets her eat and drink, then bring her out to momma. You may need to keep her in for a day to eat and calm down. I have never incubated or had goslings, only chickens. So maybe the people I quoted can help.

When my goose lost her only gosling that tried hatching she was distraught so I was blessed to find 2 day old goslings for her. Well I was really more worried about my gander stepping on them than my goose so I kept them inside with me but took them out everyday so the geese could see them we’d parade past the goose house 2-3x a day so Missy
could see them. She wouldn’t get off her nest even though the eggs were gone. Well about two weeks into our parades past the house here comes Missy with Sam her mate right behind her. So we really had a parade from then on me in the lead the 2 goslings next then Missy with Sam bringing up the rear. We did this another week with the goslings spending more an more time with the adults till one evening when Missy and Sam went in their house the goslings went in with them. It’s was the most precious picture looking in the window seeing Missy laying there with her 2 gosling right beside her. Take those rotten eggs out from under your goose and start introducing the gosling to her.

Last edited:
Remove the eggs, shell pour all her attention onto the baby, and geese aren’t particular when it comes to babies, if it exists they want to parent it.
Thank you.
Thank you, I needed someone with goose knowledge!:idunno
thank you. I will keep it for a couple more days then!!!
Wait a day or two until the gosling is strong enough, if you can get save a chick or b vitamins it can help perk the gosling up.
Wait a day or two until the gosling is strong enough, if you can get save a chick or b vitamins it can help perk the gosling up.
When my goose lost her only gosling that tried hatching she was distraught so I was blessed to find 2 day old goslings for her. Well I was really more worried about my gander stepping on them than my goose so I kept them inside with me but took them out everyday so the geese could see them we’d parade past the goose house 2-3x a day so Missy
could see them. She wouldn’t get off her nest even though the eggs were gone. Well about two weeks into our parades past the house here comes Missy with Sam her mate right behind her. So we really had a parade from then in me in the lead the 2 goslings next then Missy with Sam bringing up the rear. We did this another week with the goslings spending more an more time with the adults till one evening when Missy and Sam went in their house the goslings went in with them. It’s was the most precious picture looking in the window seeing Missy laying there with her 2 gosling right beside her. Take those rotten eggs out from under your goose and start introducing the gosling to her.
I love this so much!!!! I will keep her for a couple days and then introducing her to mama goose again 😍. Thank you ❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom