Should I build a coop in an old existing barn or get a new coop?

I would kill for that barn...
There's a lot of us that would, You got a nice start on getting a place for your chickens. My 2 cents, I would put a run on the other side of the wall next to your walk in door, outside. Dog kennels work good for this, and the birds like it outside, and cover the top with something, bird netting, tarp, whatever. Lots of roosts inside and out. birds staying inside need lots of ventilation. I have some inside my polebarn right now and with deep litter still smells because there isn't any ventilation inside the barn. Keep the pics coming.

Might want to use 1/2" hardware cloth instead of chicken wire to guard against predators like raccoons, possums etc.

I also live in southern Ohio close to Proctorville. My coop is in an old barn, so I'm glad you are fixing yours up to use. You may end up getting more chickens and it pays to have more room than less. Be sure and don't get chickens from swaps or a bunch of different sources since that is how most people bring in diseases. I would recommend getting chicks from a hatchery, feedstore or hatching your own eggs. The wild birds are out there where your chickens will be free ranging.

Well we got a good start on the coop but we are looking for some ideas. Im going to start a 350 sq ft run next where the chicken door is at now. I was thinking about adding a second little chicken door beside the main door so that I could have a exit door just for them to free range. I added the side door for more light and it can be folded down to be just a screen door for vent.

Last edited:
Get a dog pen and cut a hole in it for the chickens and keep the big door for your access to it. cover it with a tarp so they will have some shade during the day. My coop is raised and the birds stay under it all day long, I hardly ever see them inside during the summer.

I was think about getting 7 ft posts and making a 6ft run for them out of chicken wire. Im letting them free range for half the day but would like a fully protected run to keep their door open to get to their coop. Does the chicken wire sound best for protection and price?

Chicken Wire will not prevent a land Predator. Coyotes, wild Dogs and wild Hogs, Bears and other Offenders will invade any Run through it.

Back
Top Bottom