Should I buy a rooster for my free-range hens?

Not sure where you are in VA but I'm just North of Charlotte and just hatched 9 chicks and I guarantee at least two of them are Roos (with my luck they're all Roos!). If you want one, come and get it. I have a few that are going to be Sizzles, a couple Frizzles and then one that is a brownish/red hue I've never seen before. They're all mutts of course!
Thank you! They sound so cute, if I do decide to get a rooster then I think you would be one of my top choices :) (I do live in VA).

We do not know what killed her. She was almost 3-months olds. We are probably going to get a necropsy done on her, soon.
Did she exhibit any symptoms prior to death?
Here is one of your labs.
VDACS Harrisonburg Regional Animal Health Laboratory
261 Mt. Clinton Pike
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802-2551
Phone: 540-209-9130

A university or state lab will always be cheaper and more expeditious than a vet.
Hopefully you have the carcass refrigerated (not frozen).

You'll get nearly zero flock protection from anything silkie or a cross thereof.

In the last two weeks I've lost two roosters to coyotes but they kept them busy enough to allow the hens to head for cover. I've witnessed a rooster take a hawk out of the air. I'd love to see a silkie try that.

Boy you're going to get the ire of silkie owners... but as a silkie owner, I fully agree. They simply can't see well enough to adequately defend the flock. A frizzle can, they're just a roo with crazy feathers.

Here's my flock protector. He does an excellent job.

IMG_1833.jpg

And here is my other one... this one a bit bigger... but very effective!

IMG_1847.jpg

And finally, a Silkie that can take care of itself...

VaderChicken.jpg

I have two black jersey giant roosters and they are very mellow. I was expecting them to be insanely crazy and attack people, but even through maturing and there hormones racing they have not been a problem. I did have one kick me the other day, but it was because one of the chickens sounded the alarm. He has not done it again because I put him in his place by cuddling him around the yard, which I assume embarrassed him completely.

When you have a rooster they have to learn how to give you space. I train my roosters by taking out a broom and holding it between me and them so that there was adequate distance because I want to be able to get my chores done outside without having to worry that they're going to get in my space. When the hens respect you especially your top hen, I've noticed that the rooster respects you as well. The top hen is usually the chicken that I bond the most with out of the entire flock.

My roosters were hand raised and they became very skittish once maturity set in and their hormones. I went outside with some scratch in my hands and sat on the grass for hours and let them eat out of my hands so that they knew they could trust me. I go outside daily and talk to them and acknowledge them first thing when I go out there. If I don't acknowledge them they push the boundaries of getting into my space just because they want to be noticed.

I can turn my back on my roosters, run at my roosters, clean the entire yard... I never have to worry about the roosters because we established the boundaries and what I expect from them.

Back
Top Bottom