Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I have four store bought eggs left in the refrigerator and four Golden Comets that are 18 weeks old tomorrow. Should I buy eggs or wait it out? This is a tough one. What to do?

Harley Chick and bosschick like this.
  2. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Go buy one more dozen. This will cause your birds to lay, on the same principle as getting in the shower if you want the phone to ring.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Buy the eggs. The hens will lay. (But it may take several more weeks before they do so.)

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Buy eggs. My hens did not start laying until after 20 weeks.:/

I get good eggs now! We've run out frequently, so I bought 3 more chicks this year for those extra eggs. We had to buy from the store not too long ago and we have 7 layers for the 5 of us. We love fresh eggs! I rarely pass them out, only in emergencies.

Kenny_ and Nutcup like this.
  5. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    This morning I noticed one of them was teasing me with this little practice "egg song". I acted like I didn't notice. I'm sure it was all done to try to free up some more scratch from me.

shawthorne44, SVCostanzo and CanbyDan like this.
  6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Songster

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Sounds like you are really close! [​IMG] Keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  7. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    I was hoping somebody would tell me to buy golf balls instead. lol I can see that somebody has been checking out the nest boxes

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    When my supply ran low due to winter I bought eggs from a lady who had an egg sign at the end of her drive. I would find another BYC person before I got eggs from the store.How exciting for you. I remember our first eggs! The first,the biggest,the smallest,the blue,the shelless.....lol each was fun to find.

9. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    This is true. For the last 2 weeks my hen Frightful was not laying consistantly and Crackers was still too young. So this last pay day i went out and bought 18 eggs. Well wouldnt you know it, Frightful immediately started laying big brown perfect eggs and Crackers started laying! Now I ahve 4 home eggs and 18 store eggs......we go through 18 eggs in about 3 weeks lol. Guess I can give them to my mother in law lol.

April Barta, JudysMuscovy and Nutcup like this.
  10. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Songster

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Broke down and and bought another dozen. Something will eat them. And I can use the carton. Tomorrow I should have eggs from my birds.....right?

shawthorne44, rarneso and rehric00 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: