Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okallthis4eggs, May 25, 2012.

1. okallthis4eggs

okallthis4eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]Looking into one of these to brood chicks. Free range with no problems

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Wow, your place looks great! I have a serious case of green grass envy... nothing but dry, dry, dry here. That run is awesome, but I bet the hens would like a nest box out there rather than venture back across the open yard.

My girls range in a 60 x60' fenced off portion of the yard that has a few large fruit trees. I planted some strawberry guava and a loquat to give them more cover. They mostly stay under cover. Not sure if they are attracted to the shade or if it's self preservation. I've got some pomegranate starts ready to go in this fall when it starts raining (if it starts raining [​IMG]).

Is Rebel an adult rooster? Just wondering if his hormones have settled yet. Does he treat all the hens the same, or is he just picking on a few? Very strange, and so unnecessary, for him to be so aggressive toward the hens. Glad he's spending some time in the clink!

Your fair sounds so nice and wholesome. A lot of the guys that run the carnival rides out here are pretty unsavory characters, and I'm generally hard to intimidate, but I would not allow young teens into the carnival without keeping an eye on them. Oh, that and the gang activity in the evenings. [​IMG] They've really cracked down on this, but these days it's like going through airport security just to get into the county fair. What a world! Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century.

Keep up the Mylee updates. That's how it should be! [​IMG]

Haha! Good doggie. Those ducklings grew in the bottom pic, and so many! They're so vulnerable on the ground at that stage and need a good protector. Mustacheio wants ducks now, [​IMG] the little Call ducks that are so adorable. We'll see how his grades are this first quarter...

3. MalMom

MalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Colorado

[​IMG]

4. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    OK, too funny! love the dog pic... wish they could all be such natural guardians!

I'm loading pics now, over 300 between yesterday and today, lots that Mylee took herself... then I broke the camera! she was in the bath, and had splashed water all over, I went feet first across the floor, no damage other than the camera falling out of my pocket and landing on the floor to have the case split open and a few spring break. I did put it back together and with some cobbing, the battery holds in place and it does work! hooray! I have my super good camera, but I will not let Mylee or anyone else use it. I can't afford to replace it.
    While Mylee is napping, I've made Pie stuff to put together when she gets up, and then she can feed them - it's her "important" job y'know... she takes care of them all now, even the big boys!

some of the carnie's are creepy... most are pretty regular...but because they deal with so many rotten kids and mean teenagers and drunk adults... I can understand their limited patience. I never expected them to treat Mylee with special deference, her gracious and truly cheery Thank You and sweet smile melts the hardest codger! there was one "slide" house with a rope ladder and bouncy spots and clankety bridges ending with an enormous slide was so cool, she was about 1/2 inch too short to go alone, but she needed zero help from me, and she would get so far ahead without running... they decided she could go alone - she can be seen along the entire "house" except in the big bouncy rubber tunnel, but no one is in there and she pops out after only a few seconds... Man! was she proud of herself to do it on her own! it was nice that they, too, encouraged her to be independent and strong.
    anyway, this is photo heavy... but it just has to be that way, there is so much going on!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I couldn't hold her up for the giraffe and get a good picture, so that was the best I got... the last 2 I love, solo ride in the front car of the roller coaster and more new friends to ride with! these boys Mom was lovely, we spent a good while talking while the kids went on ride after ride

Now. this is MyleeView. she's amazing. I asked her to share tomatoes and take pictures of whatever she wants, but please get some of the Cluck Clucks. just a sample...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and then there are the "abstracts"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she has since had a bath, fought tooth and nail to not wash her face or her hair, but it's done... that's why the bathroom floor was so wet, from her tantrum after... but we sang "rats be gone" and her hair is silky and combed!

5. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    oh yeah, she wants goats now. [​IMG]

6. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    Sully, the place looks beautiful. How many horses do you have ? Nest boxes in the run might be needed since that looks like a long way for them. They might feel safer just to lay in the run box etc.

RR I am sorry for sneaky and rebel, I hope the kids understand that sometimes these things happen and that it isn't rebels fault. It's part of being a dog and he doesn't know what he is doing is wrong. Training may help, it may not. Some dogs will have that instinct always. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you, the kids, and animals.

Cheeka, could you crate train him ? I know many people that adopted an older dog or a dog that had that issue and that worked well. Once you have him trained you could stop the crating. Mylees face looks so cute painted. The little chicks and silkie are getting Big!

JC sorry about rebel. I hope the jailing helps. If it doesn't I hope he tastes delicious.

7. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    I do have a crate. I have finally found my old gates, and will try that first. I've never crate trained before, I've always had them, used them for travel mostly... but I can do it.

Mylee is allowed to take pictures of the chicks. I am not. Peach hides them and it is infuriating.

8. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Mylee's hair got all combed out! Looks good, G'ma! Cheeka, that silkie chick is a bantam? How big do they get? Probably smaller than Peach? If they're really small, maybe I can get a couple to keep with the Seramas. [​IMG] + [​IMG] = Silkie! Either that or we'll have to get another Flemish Giant bun. Hubs keeps looking at adds. [​IMG]

How did you get Mylee to go to the fair instead of climbing Mt. Nose? When you do climb it, I hope you get some good pics.

9. cheeka

cheeka Shutter Bug

Jul 1, 2012
    Greeley, Colorado
    no bigger than Peach anyway, and actually, I am sure it will be smaller. some of the true bantam Silkies would be great with the Serama's. even if they are somewhat bigger... they are very gentle birds. might work out nice, how feisty are the Serama's?

10. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    The Seramas are very docile with people, but I not sure about other birds. Like a lot of breeds, I think it's pretty individual. Know I couldn't put a Silkie in with the big girls, not with Biscuit the She-Roo out there. If the Seramas to picked on them I wouldn't have a place to keep them.

Maybe we should just get the bun. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by