Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

hugs.gif
lindz.

Hi Everyone! You all have been very chatty! I loved reading to catch up and see all the photos that were posted.

I got my first blue egg today! The CL is 31 weeks old, talk about a freeloader! My mom likes to say my eggs are up to $75 each! I now have two BR's laying as well. And I got a "peanut" egg too. I have seen bigger marbles! Not sure who laid that one. I still don't know who is laying the medium brown egg but I am now suspecting the Delaware is laying too. She is 25 weeks old. I was doing my horse laundry today and while checking to make sure the dryer vent was working, I noticed 3 eggs in the planting area under the vent! It really is an egg hunt! Even though I am not sure when those eggs were laid, I brought in 7 eggs! That is more than I have been getting in a week! Finally! Like one of Cheeka's earlier posts, I have 38 chickens ranging from 33 weeks down to 8 weeks, (11 roos, 9 to be culled). So far I have only been getting eggs from the NH Reds (they lay almost daily and their eggs are almost an XL), then this past month the BR's started, the Delaware, and now the CL's. That is only 6 eggs a day from 14 girls that are at least 25 weeks and older. I also have AM's that are as old as the NH's and they haven't even squatted when the Roo comes. Actually, I never saw him mount her either. She is still pale. Someday she will lay. My Marans are just as big as she is and I bet they will lay before she does!

On a "I can't believe I was so stupid note", I have had my brother, his wife and their three young boys (6, 3, 15mos), here for the week so I was distracted, and I forgot to close up the small coop. As we were sitting around enjoying a glass of wine last nite, I let the dog out and heard horrible chicken screams! My brother and I ran out to the coops and opened up the top door and there was a 'possum in there! OMG, my adrenaline was pumping full steam! I managed to get all the chickens out and my brother managed to get the 'possum out, but the chickens had scattered. I thought I found them all, but I missed my favorite #2 rooster that I was growing out. Unfortunately I found some of his remains this morning. I can't tell you how stupid and guilty I felt. I am supposed to provide protection from predation. It is not the predators fault, he found an easy and tasty meal. I don't even think he got the one that wandered to the front of the house. It was a very small 'possum, hardly bigger than a squirrel (well, a southern squirrel, not one of those plumped up northern ones
wink.png
). Not to be too graphic, but all I found were some feathers with meat attached, what was in the crop, and some sort of intestine thing (I didn't look too closely). Everything else was gone. So I think something bigger got him. I hate learning valuable lessons the hard way and at the expense of a living creatures life
hit.gif

Sully, it's so hard. I'm sorry for your loss, on the flip side, congratulations on all the eggs - my gang likes to hang out under the dryer vent too, especially when it's chilly and I'm doing laundry...

Sully-accidents happen and allow us to learn!

Lindz-I know how you feel! Hugs! I lost my grandfather a few years before. He'd be so proud of my little homestead to be. I'm sad he's not here now to go to for advice. But I'm thankful for the memories I do have.

Quote:
Man, that is a psycho bunny! How are you going to breed a black widow like that? Better get a Flemish Giant buck!

I may look relaxed, but I have the reflexes of a Ninja. Unless it's hot. Then I just want to snuggle my ice bottle.
(That's a 2 liter bottle and he wasn't full grown here.)

I am joining the egg watch. I have 19 week old chickens. No eggs yet. A mix of different kinds buckeyes, domoniques, delewares, BO, BLRW, slw, anacona, and EE. I am on post #720 trying to catch up. Maybe I will have eggs by the time I do! Anxious. Not sure if my eggs will be delayed due to time of year? Any advice? Enjoying the forum so far!
frow.gif
Welcome Vindi! You have some great breeds. We should start a pool and guess who will lay first. I'm betting on the EE. Tends to be true that the chicks born later in the year can be a bit delayed in the egg department from the dwindling daylight. Do any pullets have red faces yet? I agree with Cheeka that you probably have to wait 4-6 weeks. Maybe they will make it a Christmas present.

hugs.gif

Hugs to Lindz and to Sully.

Lindz, it sure does take a while to get through a loss like that. If you take the best of your grandpa and make it part of yourself, he will always be with you. You honor him and improve yourself at the same time. That's my motherly advice, but it still sucks that he's gone, and I'm sure you miss him terribly. Another hug
hugs.gif
Hope you feel better tomorrow.

Sorry about your rooster, Sully. Our coop has been left open at night more times than I care to admit, but we've lucked out so far. Don't beat yourself up too much.
hugs.gif

Here is my official assessment of the girls....
no squatting amongst the bunch!
4 buckeyes- no squatting and one with the start of wattles.
1 EE- no signs of maturing!
1 anacona- comb light yellow pink but just recently grew about an inch (smallest pullet)
1 BLRW - red wattles
2BO- 1 with red wattles one with nothing
2 SLW- same as BO
2 Dominiques- no signs of maturing!
2 delawares- same as BO

2 Roos- BLRW and a partridge Cochin! The Cochin, any takers on a roo in MT that picks on everyone because he is #2!

They are eating layer blend starting this week with oyster shells free choice!

Last edited:
Cheeka, it's so great that your chickens all get along so well. They must be very happy in their Dome Fortress. My Leghorn is still a troublemaker and is overly aggressive at times. If I ever have a predator problem, I'll have to add on to the run because it's too small for them to be locked in 24/7. They all want to get away from the evil Biscuit the Brutal.

If you just give me ALL the treats, I'll be good. But I want them ALL.

Yesterday was a 4 egg day.
yippiechickie.gif
Today, nothing.
Ooops, not true. Forgot about the one Serama egg. About a teaspoon full!

Back
Top Bottom