Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

we have had a lot of wind here to, got 18 eggs today dh said he was going to get 3 more hens to make an even 30, so i guess when we go to the farm to pick up meat we will get from him.

Ok I officially hate the last 3 days of incubation. I stare into the bator hoping to catch them moving but they just sit there. For all I know, I am lovingly incubating lifeless rocks. At least before day 16 or so I could see them moving when I candled them. Now it's just wait and see. And I hate wait and see.

We had some terrible wind too. Not used to it here. Blew over some big things. Took the boys to school in the morning and just about died when I saw how close this came to hubby's car.
ep.gif
The base is filled with water and is very heavy so never considered it could tip. Oddly, hubs usually parks lengthwise next to the hoop pole. The car would have been totally t-boned! This is the car that had the run-in with the deer not so long ago and had major repairs. Starting to think we need to get rid of it; it seems to attract bad things. Bad karma maybe.

Bent the rim too.
sad.png
Luckily, the dopey little windmill has been staked after tipping over a few years ago (and barely missing a different car).

So wanting to reward them I fixed them a meal
They did their part and that was the deal
Sevens not perfect but not a bad day
With their bellies full they called it a day
To stuffed to make it up on the roost
Like a good dad I gave each a boost
I locked them in, it was now getting late
Knowing tomorrow they would lay eight
As I dozed off to sleep and started to dream
I woke up startled from a chickens scream
Running half naked I knew it was bad
I had to get there, they needed their dad
With gun in hand I threw open the door
And found the poop board had crashed to the floor
barnie.gif

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Seven.......Today we did seven

I'm new to BYC and I've been reading your thread, seriously I haven't laughed this much in a month of Sundays
lau.gif

can't wait to continue to the latest postings, the poems are a hoot!

Ok I officially hate the last 3 days of incubation. I stare into the bator hoping to catch them moving but they just sit there. For all I know, I am lovingly incubating lifeless rocks. At least before day 16 or so I could see them moving when I candled them. Now it's just wait and see. And I hate wait and see.

You can do a float test. Get a bowl of warm water (you'd have to research the exact temp- same as incubator?). When the water is still, float an egg in the water. If it's alive, you will see it rock and jiggle. Unless it's asleep, then you should peep at it to wake it up. If the egg sinks, that's a very bad sign.

Really, I think you are better off waiting since they will probably hatch soon. People who candle less report better hatches, but I think it would be very hard to resist!

Should be this weekend.
jumpy.gif

I'm new to BYC and I've been reading your thread, seriously I haven't laughed this much in a month of Sundays
lau.gif

can't wait to continue to the latest postings, the poems are a hoot!
Welcome! This is my favorite thread. It has it all... pie, poetry, devious chickens, and some of the most wonderful people you'll ever meet. Or type at. (I'm still not quite used to social media.
big_smile.png
) What kind of chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom